The Japanese have officially eliminated our post-cake-eating guilt. No need to skip dessert – just eat some…water?

cake

Photo courtesy of RocketNews24

Resembling a water droplet, this new Japanese Water Cake is definitely a dessert to check out this year. Also known as mizu shingen mochi, the water cake was created by the Kinseiken Seika Company and is considered one of the more delicate desserts to devour, as it only retains its shape for about 30 minutes in room temperature before it melts. The cake originates from the waters of Mount Kaikoma and is slightly sweetened and then solidified to look like a bubble of water.

cake

Photo courtesy of RocketNews24

Unfortunately, this fascinating water cake is only served during the summer season of two restaurants in Japan, both of which are part of the Kinseiken Company. For only 300 yen ($2.95 American dollars), the water mochi lays on top of a brown sugar syrup and is sprinkled with kinako soybean powder. For those lucky enough to try it, the water cake has been widely raved about on Twitter, described as “naturally refreshing,” “tasty,” and “a bit surprising.”

Here in the US, “zero calorie” and “cake” usually don’t fit in the same sentence. I guess Japan will have to be our summer diet destination.

Check out these related articles