Patagonia is a cultural phenomenon for all of us young adults trying to do college. It has become so relevant that there are sorority shirts with the iconic Patagonia logo, and it’s frequently referred to as “patagucci” or the slightly less aesthetically pleasing “fratagonia.” These terms, while potentially demeaning to people that actually use Patagonia products to do athletic things, are indicative of the large breadth of Patagonia’s empire.

Patagonia

Photo courtesy of australiapolo.com

Patagonia Provisions: Patagonia’s Solution to Repair the Food Chain

We all know that Patagonia means quality outdoor clothing that lasts, but what you probably weren’t aware of is, in addition to their phenomenally colorful fleeces,  Patagonia now sells food. Can I get a good old-fashioned YAS?!

Patagonia

Photo courtesy of patagonia.com

Patagonia’s mission statement is to “build the best product, cause no unnecessary harm, use business to inspire and implement solutions to the environmental crisis.” So, it’s only logical that they would start selling food that’s sourced according to Patagonia’s down-to-earth values.

Called Patagonia Provisions, all of the food in Patagonia Provisions is portable, which fits with their outdoor-centric business, and it includes high energy snacks like buffalo jerky, dehydrated soups, packaged wild salmon and an assortment of organic fruit and almond bars.

Patagonia

Photo courtesy of patagonia.com

The Founder’s Take

According to Yvon Chouinard, the founder of Patagonia, food, and the culture that surrounds it, is incredibly important to everyone at the company. They want to change the food industry one piece of buffalo jerky at a time, inspiring people to get more in touch with the food that they eat.

Patagonia

Photo courtesy of patagonia.com

As a result, every food product Patagonia Provisions sells is non-GMO and makes an effort to positively benefit the environment. Their buffalo jerky is 100% grass fed, free-range and antibiotic and hormone free, and their salmon only comes from “abundant and sustainable runs.” It “is harvested in specific migration routes to avoid harming less abundant species.” This way you can feel good about the quality of food you’re putting in your body, as well as its impact on the environment.

Patagonia

Worth the price tag?

The products in Patagonia Provisions come in convenient packages that can be purchased online or in store, which is ideal for dorm life. The downside? They are a little pricey. A 6-pack of soup is $39, and each package has two servings, so that’s $3.25 for one serving of soup. It’s definitely more expensive than your typical ramen or Campbell’s soup, but at least you know that what you’re putting in your body is better for you and better for the environment.

Patagonia

Photo courtesy of patagonia.com

Patagonia has clearly been doing something right for the past 30+ years, and food is probably just their next big thing. I can’t wait to order myself some soup and see if Patagonia Provisions are as great as their fleeces.