Once a year, McDonald’s makes its cult favorite — the McRib — available at participating locations. The fast food chain usually doesn’t share where to find it, but this year it’s doing something different. McDonald’s is revealing where to find a McRib through an app.

Back up. What exactly is this mysterious and rare McRib?

Walking the line

chief_huddleston on Flickr

It’s a boneless pork patty, served on a hoagie roll, topped with secret McRib barbecue sauce, pickles, and onions. But what’s up with the meat looking like a rib, yet it’s boneless? McDonald’s shared a video with the Today Show about how the meat is processed. Apparently, it grinds the meat then forms it into the rib shape in order to resemble a rack of ribs. Gothamist reported that it's made with 70 ingredients, including a flour-bleaching agent. Appetizing.

This year the McRib was released on November 7th, and it will only be available until December 31st, according to Consumerist.

So how can you find this $4.00, limited time McDonald’s sandwich?

beer, pizza, wine
Photo courtesy of McDonald's app

The company created McRib Finder app (only for iOS 10 users, sorry Anroid users) that will help you hunt down one of these bad boys. It works with iMessage and uses your location to send you a map of where you are in relation to the closest McDonald’s that serves a McRib. It’s important to note that the app doesn’t show you all locations that serve the coveted sandwich — only restaurants in your surrounding area. 

Fear not, Andriod users. You can still use the McRib Locator website to pinpoint the exclusive sandwich.

We downloaded the app to see if we were close to any locations that serve the McRib. Unfortunately, NYC McDonald’s are not worthy of its presence. As curious as we are about it, this might be a blessing in disguise.