Magnolia Bakery has been serving up classic American desserts since 1996. Magnolia is well-known for baking and icing heavenly-tasting cupcakes. They have a cupcake calendar which has different cupcakes depending on the day. I have this calendar better memorized than my own schedule. Alongside their top-selling cupcakes, every day they have banana pudding as long as they don’t sell out.

The banana pudding from Magnolia Bakery is often my solution to problems, like homework, and how I celebrate life’s success, like eating healthy for a day. It is often a favorite tool for procrastination, a post-workout treat and breakfast (too often).

They are now stirring the Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafer Cookies from their ice box cake into their newest treat, which they call “chocolate banana pudding.” With 12 hours notice prior to the launch of Mag’s chocolate banana pudding, I was quite excited and actually made a special trip in the opposite direction of home to try it. For me, the chocoholic, it was all I could think about throughout my 9 am tap class while eating my lunch, and all that mattered at that afternoon audition.

Chocolate Banana Pudding

Photo by Megan Peterson

Ok, I’ll get to the point. Not saying that I was the least bit disappointed with the newcomer at all. That first bite was definitely heavenly. The chocolate wafer cookies truly make it and you get that chocolate flavor you are craving. It is worth a taste, and well worth the trip.

Someone in line caught me double-fisting with the banana and chocolate puddings and asked me which one was better. If you love chocolate, get the chocolate banana pudding. It is something different. If you have never had Magnolia’s classic banana pudding, get that first. I often say classic anything reigns supreme, like plain buttermilk pancakes at IHOP. The same applies for Magnolia’s classic banana pudding.