For those of you who don’t know, Sofritas is Chipotle’s new protein. According to Chipotle’s website, tofu Sofritas are “braise(d) with chipotle chilis, roasted poblanos, and a blend of aromatic spices.”

If you go to Chipotle this Monday, January 26th and order any menu item with Sofritas, you’ll get a voucher for a free entree to use by February 28th. For those of us who live on campus and would probably be back to Chipotle by the 28th of February anyway… this isn’t a real hassle.

free chipotle

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

Now, I am a vegetarian, but I am not the kind that is constantly on the lookout for meat substitutes. I usually turn up my nose at tofu. Let’s face it – tofu is flavorless and spongy unless it’s prepared really well.

So, is it worth it to try Sofritas? The short answer: absolutely – especially when it means free Chipotle of your choice next time you return.

While Sofritas doesn’t really taste like meat (no meat substitute ever really does…) it does taste like it belongs in Mexican food. The mixture of flavors is definitely reminiscent of the spices on taco meat, and it gives the Sofritas a heartily spicy, slightly smoky flavor. The texture is superior to most tofu (read: not spongy) because it is chopped so finely and includes a hefty amount of spices. And if you’re trying to watch your calories, Sofritas is definitely the way to add substance to your burrito; at 145 calories and 1.5 grams saturated fat, Sofritas is the leanest protein there is.

free chipotle

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

Even if you’re a meat lover, Sofritas is worth a try. If it’s not your cup of tea (cup of tofu?), you can come back and get a FREE burrito/salad/order of tacos, no harm done. But I bet you’ll enjoy Sofritas more than you’d expect.