If you’re a sorority girl, this may sound familiar: It’s Sunday night, you’ve finished dinner and are sitting in your suite with your friends. That taco salad from BD didn’t quite fill you up and you’re distracted by the all-too-familiar craving for something sweet. You have a paper to write but you desperately need an excuse to procrastinate for just one more hour so you ask the important and common question: “Anyone want froyo?” After a unanimous “Yes!” there is only one place to go: Chill.

Photo courtesy of GlobalLighting

Photo courtesy of GlobalLighting

Bill and Amy Koman, the founders and owners of Chill, spent over three years making the froyo spot a local favorite and an integrated part of the Wydown community. By using local, fresh, and delicious ingredients for their frozen yogurt, they quickly developed a cult-like following of many nearby students and residents. Whether you’re a “tart” loyalist who sticks to the fruit topping section or a chocoholic who loads up on candy and hot fudge, there was always happiness to be found at 7610 Wydown Road.

Unfortunately, for the many froyo lovers of WashU, Chill served its last swirls last night, March 1st. Another local chain, Yo My Goodness Frozen Yogurt, plans to take over the storefront later in March. Luckily, Chill marketing manager Liz Summers says, “Yo My Goodness is St. Louis founded, owned and managed, and will no doubt be a great fit for our Wydown neighborhood.”

Photo by Taylor Ohman

Photo by Taylor Ohman

But if you, like me, shed a tear over your last cup of Chill frozen yogurt and asked over and over again “Why?!” as concerned on-lookers watched, then I have your answer. The owners have decided to take up residence in California permanently and, unfortunately, must bring their recipe for tangy creamy goodness with them. Although Chill will always have a special place in our hearts, it’s time to consider other froyo options in the WashU area. There’s Tutti Frutti, FroYo, Orange Leaf, and soon… Yo My Goodness.