It seems like every time I turn around there’s a new diet to try, flavor combination to concoct and superfood to cook. Last year was quite a year for foodies. From kale in every form, to donut ice cream sandwiches, and hot diets ranging from the Paleo diet to gluten-free eating, it was a wild ride trying to stay up to date on the hottest food trends.

But with a new year comes new flavors, foods, and trends. Let’s take a look into our crystal ball and see what 2015 has in store for us to chow down on.

1. Cauliflower

food trends

Photo courtesy of Phillip4x on Flickr

While kale took the world by storm in 2014, cauliflower is the vegetable on the tip of everyone’s tongue this year. With its versatile flavor, you can throw it into pastas, mashed potatoes and even pizza crust.  Also, the health benefits of cauliflower are incredible. A serving packs vitamin C, fiber, and protein. Delicious and healthy—can’t be beat.

2. Pistachios

food trends

Gif courtesy of Tumblr.com

Perhaps it’s those Stephen Colbert commercials that have made this little green nut so popular. Regardless, 2015 is going to be the year of the pistachios. Bright, buttery, and packed with potassium, pistachios go great with ice cream, biscotti, and even on top of pizza.

3. Don’t Fear the Fats

food trends

Photo by Jessica Kelly

I know, fats are treated like the plague. But despite popular belief, fats do not make us fat. They keep us satiated and help our bodies absorb nutrients.  After years of “low-fat” diets, it’s time to embrace natural fats, plant and animal alike. Go on, grab yourself a burger with cheese and a slice of avocado. Butter that bun too and find out what you’ve been missing.

4. Bitter is Better

food trends

Photo by Kaitlyn Wesolowski

Between the macarons, cronuts, cupcakes and Nutella-coated everything, Americans may have exhausted their sweet tooth. Hence, the bite of bitter flavors is way in, so keep your eyes peeled for hoppy beers, bitter coffee and chocolate with a higher percentage of cocoa.

5. Smoked Everything

food trends

Gif courtesy of Giphy.com

It seems as though the bacon trend of 2014 never cooled off. Now we want everything smoked. The demand for these foods has risen and been expanded. We are now seeing smoked vegetables, butter, cheese and even cocktails. Smoked martini anyone?

6. Mini Meals

food trends

Gif courtesy of Pinterest.com

If you love food as much as I do, then sticking to 3 meals a day doesn’t cut it.  This year, people are munching and sharing tapas at restaurants.

Eating smaller meals and nutrient-packed snacks throughout the day helps to keep your energy up and prevents you from becoming ravenous between meals. Besides, that trail mix under your bed won’t finish itself.

Some of the food trends from 2014 will still endure, and the trend of healthy eating never goes out of style. Vow to be adventurous in the New Year and try something new. Who knows? You may end up loving smoked peppers and cauliflower rice

Want to be extra trendy this year? Check out these links too: