Hi. My name is Morgan and both of my parents will insist to anyone who will listen that I’m named after the Captain himself. Yep, it’s a thing. I guess it makes sense since it’s so darn delicious, but I really do wish they’d stop talking about it at family functions. So, with my namesake in mind, I decided to learn everything I could about the Captain.

Captain Morgan

Here’re some of my favorite tidbits:

1. Captain Morgan was a real person.

I think this is one that every rum enthusiast has wondered at least once during a night out. Sir Henry Morgan was a 17th-century privateer and admiral of the Royal Navy, whose main job was to raid Spanish settlements in the Caribbean. Ahoy, mateys.

Captain Morgan

Photo courtesy of wikipedia.com

2. The company that owns the Captain Morgan brand once funded an excavation of one of the real Captain Morgan’s ships.

This one happened in 2011 when the wreckage of one of Sir Henry Morgan’s ships (see above) was discovered off the coast of Panama.

3. In 2009, the NFL had to ban players from striking the classic “Captain Morgan” pose after scoring touchdowns.

Captain Morgan

Photo courtesy of Getty images.

This one was apparently an “ambush marketing” technique, and the Captain Morgan company supposedly pledged to donate $10,000 to the Gridiron Greats fund (which helps retired NFL players in need of financial or medical assistance) for each time a player struck the pose.

4. Measuring by volume, Captain Morgan is the second largest brand of spirits sold in the United States.

Second only to Smirnoff Vodka, which is owned by the same corporation.

Captain Morgan

5. The most alcoholic variety of Captain is the “Black Cask,” and it’s 100 proof.

That’s 50% alcohol by volume, y’all.

Captain Morgan

6. There are at least 22 varieties.

Ranging from the “Tattoo” variety that was designed to compete with Jägermeister to the fruity “Parrot Bay” line that comes in pretty much every fruit you can imagine, you’d be sure to find the best way to get a little Captain in you.

7. During the 2008 Presidental election, Captain Morgan was the official wine and spirits sponsor of both the Democratic and the Republican National Conventions.

Captain for President, amirite?

8. It’s vegan!

According to an email from customer service, “there are no animal flesh, animal gelatin, honey, dairy products, or eggs in Captain Morgan. Further, Captain Morgan never has and never will be tested on animals.”

Captain Morgan

9. You can tour the factory and distillery (with samples)  St. Croix.

Located on St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands, the visitors center is open year round, and includes tastings. For $10 you get a full tour and two cocktails in the tasting tavern. #Springbreak2017, anyone?

10. A Captain Morgan commercial inspired a new, safer way for ER doctors to help patients with dislocated hips.

Yeah, you read that one right. An ER doctor was watching a Captain commercial one night when he had a light bulb moment. Remember the Captain pose we talked about earlier? Apparently that’s a pretty good stance to take when trying to pop a patient’s dislocated hips back into place. Who knew?

Captain Morgan

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com