There are two kinds of people in this world — those that like mayonnaise and those that would rather give up Chipotle for an entire year than even look at the stuff.

Whether you’re a complete mayo-phobe or simply trying to switch up your daily lunchtime sandwich, these healthy (well, healthy-ish) and flavorful alternative sandwich spreads will please individuals on both sides of the never-ending mayo debate.

1. Pesto

sandwich spreads

Photo by Julia Maguire

It’s not just for pasta anymore. This Italian sauce made of garlic, basil, parmesan, and pine nuts is packed full of flavor and makes for a great mayo swap. Spread it on a few slices of ciabatta bread and layer on some mozzarella, tomatoes, and spinach for the ultimate vegetarian sandwich.

2. Hummus

sandwich spreads

Photo by Parisa Soraya

It turns out that everyone’s favorite Middle Eastern dip isn’t just great on veggies and pita chips. This creamy blend of chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic tastes great on sandwiches and wraps as well. Bonus: Hummus is way higher in protein and fiber than other spreads, so don’t feel bad about sneaking an extra spoonful.

3. Avocado

sandwich spreads

Photo by Samantha Thayer

Smash it, smash it reeeeeal good. Half a smashed avocado gives you all the richness of mayo, plus a dose of monounsaturated fats that will keep you looking #flawless. Wanna go all out? Whip up a quick, 15 second guac by smashing half an avocado with a dash of lime juice and a pinch of salt. Now if only margaritas were an appropriate lunchtime beverage…

4. Honey Mustard

sandwich spreads

Photo courtesy of yemekye.com

This sweet and tangy sauce tastes just as good on chicken fingers as it does on sandwiches. While store-bought honey mustard does include mayo (sneaky, sneaky), you can make a mayo-free version with equal parts honey and yellow mustard, plus a bit of salt and pepper. Spread it on some whole wheat bread, top with sliced deli turkey and cheddar cheese, then cook it like a grilled cheese for extra gooeyness.

5. Greek Yogurt

sandwich spreads

Photo by Lauryn Lahr

Greek yogurt is just as creamy as mayo, but with a fraction of the fat and calories. Since you’re only using a tiny amount here, ditch the fat-free stuff and go for the 2% or even the full-fat version. And don’t stop at plain yogurt — mix in some herbs, spices, or even a squirt of Sriracha to really pump up the flavor.

6. Butter

sandwich spreads

Photo courtesy of wikimedia.org

I know it sounds weird, but hear me out, alright? Butter is actually a super popular sandwich spread throughout Europe, and it’s about time that us Americans hopped on this trend. In France, the jambon-beurre is a popular sandwich that includes just three ingredients: ham, butter, and a crusty baguette. I mean, come on, there’s literally no way that those ingredients could taste bad together.

7. Leftover Dips

sandwich spreads

Photo by Hana Ezaldein

Spinach and artichoke dip, buffalo chicken dip, or even salsa left over from Saturday’s tailgate is fair game to become a sandwich spread. Personally, I think creamy dips taste better on a warm panini-style sandwich, but if you don’t have the time to heat up a pan, they’ll still taste great cold.

8. Fruit Jam or Preserves

sandwich spreads

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Sweet and savory totally works in a classic PB&J, so why not try adding some jam to your other favorite sandwiches. Try a spoonful of apricot preserves to add a little sweetness to your everyday turkey on wheat, or spread a little strawberry or raspberry jam on a French Monte Cristo.

9. Caesar Dressing

sandwich spreads

Photo by Nina Lincoff

We all know that Caesar salad is basically the greatest thing ever invented, but that famous Caesar dressing is a great sub for mayo in wraps and sandwiches. Here’s an awesome recipe for the dressing. Not a Caesar fan? Try swapping in ranch dressing instead.