You probably don’t want to be reminded of those middle (and even high school) days where we were all beyond awkward. Glasses, double layered Abercrombie tanks, showing bra straps obviously, hoop earrings, and how could I forget those dreaded braces.

We were basically the shit, especially when it came to being a little rebel, eating things we weren’t supposed to with braces.

1. Popcorn

braces

Photo courtesy of Flickr

You know you were cool if you went to the movies with your friends and stayed out till 10 pm on a Friday night without the rents. And of course you just had to have that butter drenched, salt-infused popcorn that costed a million dollars, even though you knew your tongue would get cut up from digging around your mouth to remove any stuck kernels.

2. Gum

braces

Photo courtesy of Flickr

I don’t know about you, but gum wasn’t allowed at my school when class was in session. But we were badasses and we wanted to look cool popping some gum. It was necessary after lunch so your breath wouldn’t be stanky and you loved the attention everyone gave you when you shared your pack. And we all know gum never actually got stuck in your braces.

3. Ice

braces

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Maybe I was the only one who ate ice, but during a sports game or on a hot summer day, why would anyone sit there dying in the heat when you could cool down chewin’ on some cubes?

4. Hard & Chewy Candies

braces

Photo courtesy of popsugar.com

Sweets and sugar galore, no teeny-bopper I know would stop cold turkey on these treats just because they were a braceface.

5. Corn on the Cob

braces

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Corn on the cob actually did get stuck in those metal brackets like no other, and it was definitely no fun. But your 13-year-old self was much too lazy to use a knife to shave those kernels off of the cob, even if it meant popping a bracket, which of course would never happen to you.

6. Apples

braces

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Your mom packed apple slices for your little brother, but you were old enough to pack your own lunch. And when your apple didn’t break a hole in the bottom of your soggy brown paper bag and fall onto the floor, this was your “sweet treat” for the day. You ate it, praying not to break your braces, just cause it was food.

7. Beef Jerky

braces

Photo courtesy of dukesmeats.com

Beef jerky, cheese jerky, teriyaki jerky… definitely a workout for the jaw, but yummy nonetheless. We ate it and we loved it, so why would we stop just because of braces?

And trust me, you were the only one thinking, “Dang, can I eat anything else with that plate of nothing?” when your orthodontist gave you the long list of all the foods you couldn’t eat.