Tea can do so much more than warm you up on a chilly afternoon or make your throat feel better when you’re sick. If you’re a tea lover, you might already know this. If you’re a coffee person, you might be thinking, “How did I even get to this article?” In either case, you should read on, because there’s a world of brews out there that’ll keep you feeling awesome, no matter the situation.

Ginger – Stomach Ache

teas

Photo by Alex Tom

Ginger teas are perfect for when that chilli from the dining hall has caused your gut some serious issues. Most people will swear by the calming properties of the spicy root, and because the tea isn’t very sweet, it should keep your stomach from turning on you again. Whip some up next time you’ve got an upset stomach before you reach for the Pepto-Bismol.

Peppermint – Sinus Pressure

teas

Photo by Madeline Hueske

You know that super awesome feeling you get in your throat when you smell something really minty? Peppermint tea can give you that, plus it’ll help clear out your sinuses if you’re feeling sniffly. The sharp peppermint taste will help you perk up for 8 ams, but beware — it’s non-caffeinated, so you might need something else to keep your eyes open later in the day.

Vanilla Rooibos – Lacking Antioxidants

teas

Photo by Prairie Broughton

This one may be a little harder to find, but persevere and you will be rewarded. Everyone who’s tried it will tell you this tea tastes like dessert. Vanilla rooibos is also non-caffeinated, but it pairs well with pastries at breakfast time or when you’re craving something sweet in the afternoon. Rooibos is an African bush tea that can be flavored with just about anything, but vanilla is the most popular. This beverage is said to have 50% more antioxidants than green tea.

Matcha Green Tea – Vitamin Deficient

teas

Photo courtesy of Matthew Wild

There are a million kinds of green tea out there, but pure matcha gives the best green tea flavor and the biggest health benefits. Matcha has tons of antioxidants and vitamins such as vitamin C, magnesium, and zinc along with boosting your metabolism. Consider it your daily multivitamin, because why not?

Fruity Herbal Tea – Curb Your Cravings

teas

Photo by Katie Luchette

Herbal teas are both a blessing and a curse because they don’t have any caffeine. If you’re wanting something warm before bed, this is the tea for you. Herbal teas can be flavored with nearly any kind of fruit, so pick one that sounds appealing. They’re especially good in the dead of winter when your summer fruit craving kicks in.

Mate – Caffeine Fix

teas

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Mate is native to South America and is both a cultural and economic staple for the people of Argentina and Chile. It’s traditionally drank out of a hollowed-out gourd with a metal straw called a bombilla, which might be the coolest thing ever. This tea is hyper-caffeinated, and many ex-coffee drinkers swear by it because it doesn’t give you the same jitters and crash as coffee sometimes can. Grab a mug before your early morning test and feel superior to all your Starbucks-toting friends.

Sleepytime Vanilla – Sleep Deprived

teas

Photo by Madeline Hueske

In addition to its allure for the sickeningly adorable name, Celestial Seasoning’s Sleepytime Vanilla is popular because it makes you sleepy. Seriously. The main ingredient is chamomile, which is known for helping to induce sleep. Curl up with a mug of this at the end of the day and you’ll be happily snoozing way before your bedtime.

Oregon Chai – Anti-Inflammatory

teas

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

This one might upset the chai purists out there, but in terms of convenience, this is the best chai to have in a dorm. It’s a concentrate that is mixed with milk and microwaved to create a spicy and creamy chai beverage. Many of the component herbs in chai tea are considered powerful anti-inflammatory agents. This concentrate does need to be refrigerated, so keep that in mind when you’re out shopping. 

Black Tea – Pick-Me-Up

teas

Photo by Bernard Wen

In terms of a morning pick-me-up, this is the tea you need. Black tea is bracing, strong, and tastes wonderful with a little honey and milk. It’s got a fair amount of caffeine to wake you up in the morning and comes in a variety of flavors. Some popular ones include English breakfast, earl grey, apricot, and pomegranate.

Kombucha – Detox

teas

Photo by Madeline Hueske

If you haven’t heard of kombucha, it’s a fermented tea beverage that’s carbonated and slightly bitter. Praised by the health food community for its health benefits which include detoxification and digestion, it packs a flavor punch as well. It’s fizzy and fruity and is perfect as a cool beverage. Stock your fridge or if you’re feeling brave, try brewing your own.