Ah, football season is the most wonderful time of year here at the University of Tennessee. It’s a time when orange and white checkered overalls make their appearance, Neyland is filled with over 102,000 Volunteers, and the chanting of “Go Vols!” can be heard on every street corner in a 30 mile radius of campus.

This means that tailgating is a high priority for students and fans alike. For students, it can be hard to find the time to make amazing Tennessee themed tailgate food between classes, friends and extracurriculars. Here are some easy big orange foods to make for your next football celebrations and just in time for the last two home games.

1. “Sweet as Soda Pop” Sweet Potato Chips

Okay, so sweet potatoes may not be as sweet as soda pop in the sense of their taste, but they’re metaphorically pretty sweet. Not only are these simple to make, but they’re full of Vitamin A which promotes vision, so you’ll be better able to see the game after nommin’ on these. And being orange, they’re full of Tennessee pride.

Sweet potato chips can be made many ways, so feel free to add your own spices. I recommend adding paprika, rosemary or garlic salt before popping them in the oven. Try using orange and white sweet potatoes to get an even greater volunteer feel.

Photo by Sean Koetting

2. Checkerboard Crispies

A childhood classic with a Rocky Top twist. This dessert mimics where we hope the Vols will be most of the game — the end zone, scoring touchdowns. These variations of Rice Krispies treats are ridiculously easy to make, while still looking super spirited. And since they’re no bake, you can get them ready last minute before the big party, and no one will ever know.

tailgate

Photo by Meredith Simmons

3. Big Orange Buffalo Chicken Dip

Because what’s a tailgate without chips and dip? This recipe is one ideal for a Volunteer party. Top it off with shredded cheese once you take it out of the oven to get it even more volunteer orange. I recommend serving them with Fritos. Feel free to substitute the chicken for gator meat. Ya know, just a suggestion.

tailgate

Photo by Meredith Simmons

It’s football time in Tennessee, which means it’s tailgating time in Tennessee. Hopefully these Volunteer orange goodies will make their way into your next tailgating menu.

Other tailgating ideas and recipes to have a look at: