New Year's is around the corner, and with that comes the time when people start to make crazy resolutions like cutting out all junk food when their diet consists of pizza and ice cream, or working out for an hour every day when they haven't been to the gym for months. People tend to set new #HealthGoals for themselves around this time of year after indulging and relaxing over the holidays.

Often, though goals are so extreme that they are destined to fail. Instead of setting unrealistic goals that set you up for failure, it's time to take a look at your Grandmother for an example of #HealthGoals (and yes, you heard that right).

coffee, pizza
Megan Rivenburg

My grammy is the epitome of #HealthGoals (and also my most loyal reader—shout out to you, Grammybear!). Here's why I look to her for health inspiration:

1. She eats simply

vegetable, cucumber, pepper, tomato, salad
Christin Urso

When my Grammybear goes to the grocery store, she buys items that are simple, like whole fruits and vegetables and whole grains like oatmeal, almonds, etc. She doesn't reach for items like Oreos that have 1 billion unrecognizable ingredients. The majority of her fridge and pantry consists of food items with simple, unprocessed, whole ingredients.

2. Everything goes in moderation

sausage, bread, bun, beef, hot dog
Zoe Zaiss

With the above point being said, she also indulges in moderation. She buys peanut M&M's once in a while because she loves them (and for me when I come over), but she always sticks to one serving and moves on. She doesn't deprive herself when she wants something, but she makes sure to stick to whole foods most of the time. My grammy loves her Dairy Queen and hot dogs, but has each maybe once or twice a year. This keeps them special!

3. She works out but doesn't overdo it

tea
Lila Seeley

Gbear works out 2-3 times per week doing resistance training, and doesn't stress about missing a class. This is so important to remember as New Year's comes around, because it's so easy to get obsessive about working out. Exercise is meant to be fun and a celebration of your body and its abilities—not a punishment. 

4. She knows her body

coffee, tea, beer
Arianna Gershon

This one is a biggie. After living with herself her whole life, my Grammy knows her body very well. She knows what foods do and don't agree with her, she knows when to take it easy and rest for a day at home, and she knows to listen to what her body is telling her. It's so important to listen to your body and give it what it needs.

Take a lesson or two from your Grandmother like I have from my Grammybear, and make her your New Year's #HealthGoals.