Research shows 5 servings of Coca-Cola will keep you alive until at least 84. And by research, we mean billionaire Warren Buffett’s diet. Buffet could literally afford any drink he wants. He could even afford the most expensive bottled water in the world, which is $60,000 and contains 5 milligrams of gold dust. As luxurious and refreshing as gold water sounds, Warren chooses to poison his body by drinking Coca-Cola multiple times a day.

An addiction that is out of control

Coca-Cola

Everyday Warren wakes up with a nutritious breakfast, which consists of a nice chilled coke and some UTZ potato sticks, a company he claims to be interested in buying.

However, the potato sticks aren’t a necessity to his daily diet, as he also claims to switch up and have an occasional bowl of chocolate chip ice cream for breakfast instead. Sounds to me like he could combine these items and make a nice Coke float, because that’s a much healthier breakfast item, right? Or maybe he would be better off with some soda-filled brownies.

Coca-Cola

Photo by Peter Wang

Out of the 2700 calories he consumes a day, at least a quarter of that is from the Coke. And of the 60 ounces of Coke he drinks a day, he divides it between the regular Coke he drinks at work and the Cherry Coke he drinks at home. Contrary to people’s optimistic thoughts and naïve excuses, liquid calories do in fact count. And in Warren Buffett’s diet, those calories are counting big time.

Irrational reasoning

Coca-Cola

When asked about his diet, he has a very logical and thought out response that any of the richest and most successful men would have, “I checked the actuarial tables, and the lowest death rate is among six-year-olds. So I decided to eat like a six-year-old.” Man, if I had thought that through, I would be drinking juice boxes and eating Lunchables on the daily.

Your beverage of choice

Coca-Cola

Photo courtesy of Coca-Cola

Although Warren Buffett’s Coca-Cola habits have kept him alive this far, I can’t see it helping him out much longer. A 12-ounce serving contains a steep 39 grams of sugar, which can lead to obesity and diabetes.

Obesity is a big side effect as Coca-Cola is high in calories. Drinking one can of Coke everyday alone adds 57,600 calories to your diet a year. That adds up to a gain of 16.8 pounds a year.

According to the Center of Disease Control and Prevention, more than one-third of adults in the US are obese, and people like Warren Buffett who are promoting drinks like Coca-Cola, are doing nothing to improve this statistic. Obesity can lead to heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer. These tragic outcomes are preventable. Put down the soda and save yourself the risk of causing harm to your body.

Dentists would also advise not drinking this highly acidic drink. Coca Cola’s acidity content can cause staining and corrosion to your enamel. This can lead to your 84 year old self having to wear dentures.

Coca-Cola has also been reported to be linked to reproductive problems, kidney failure, increased blood pressure, a weaker immune system, and even cell damage. Ask yourself next time you contemplate ordering a Coke if these long-term damages to your health are worth the brief satisfaction of the fizzy drink.

It seems to be a miracle Warren even made it to 84, and the mass amounts of Coca-Cola surely aren’t going to do him any favors in aging gracefully.

The bottom line

Coca-Cola

Photo by Kevin Dang

Don’t be looking up to Warren Buffett as your new health inspiration. If you truly want to live longer, consider giving up this sugary drink. Hopefully, Warren will see the error of his ways and try some good old-fashion water every once and a while (as should you). We’re praying for your health, Warren.