Trying to gain muscle and lose fat? Want to see better results from your workouts? Many people don’t realize that a great way to reach all of these goals is foam rolling.

Not only does it feel amazing (like someone is massaging your body in all the right places), but it will help you reach your fitness goals faster and more effectively. Through applied pressure, foam rolling targets specific points in your body and aids muscle recovery. Who doesn’t want leaner muscle mass simply by rolling around?

Foam Roll

Guys and girls who are looking for the perfect butt, listen up, because foam rolling is a great way to get the backside you’ve always wanted. Before you do your workout in the gym, foam roll your IT Band, your quads, and your butt. Your muscles won’t be as tight when you exercise, which means you can squat deeper and create the perfectly toned butt of your dreams.

Are you looking for lean muscle? Make sure you foam roll after a strength training workout. Not only will it make you less sore the next day, but it decreases recovery time and lengthens your muscles. A lot of people trying to build muscle have turned to foam rolling instead of simply pre-workout stretching, since stretching a cold muscle which is not warmed up could hinder your workout and even cause an injury.

Foam Roll

Gif courtesy of runselfierepeat.com

Before you start rolling, you might wonder what foam rolling actually does to your body? Basically, foam rolling engages your muscles while you warm up, giving you a better range of motion and decreasing the chance of injury.

It is important to foam roll after a workout as well, as it can ease tension in the myofascial level (the connective tissue protecting your muscles) that stretching cannot reach. Foam rolling is also a great way to restore muscles and gain flexibility. It improves circulation to your recovering muscles, building healthy connective tissue that improves performance.

Foam Roll

Photo courtesy of kaylaitsines.tumblr.com

If you’re still not convinced, you should know that foam rolling can also help you remove cellulite from your body by removing toxins from your muscles. There are so many easy foam rolling exercises that anyone can do before and after their workouts. However, make sure to go slowly and use proper technique. You definitely don’t want to be that person in the gym rolling around like a crazy person.

I always foam roll before and after a leg day workout, and I definitely notice the difference when I don’t because my legs are much more sore the next day. It helps my body cut down on recovery time so that I can get right back into the gym. So the next time you find yourself wishing for a massage, go find a foam roller. It’s going to be better than trying to ask your roommates for a back rub, and healthier, too.