Every year Pantone, a world renowned authority of color, releases a "color of the year" which inspires patterns and color trends for everyone in industries like graphic designers, fashion, food, home, etc.

2017's color of the year? Greenery. Supposedly to come off as lively and refreshing, this color has been put on the back burner in terms of "trending." 

But according to the supermarkets, particularly Whole Foods, purple will be the rising color amongst foods this year. From purple elderberries to purple asparagus and cereal, this color will not be hard to spot the next time you're at your local grocery store.

So, what's so great about purple foods?

I'm glad you asked. You see, the compounds that are in purple foods help soothe inflammation and those who eat them are less likely to be overweight. Sounds pretty simple right?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released statements saying purple food consumers are at a lower risk for high blood pressure and better levels of HDL cholesterol (known as the "good" cholesterol). Who wouldn't want all those healthy benefits? 

Where does the purple color come from?

Purple foods get their stunning color from the antioxidant anthocyanin. And we all know how healthy antioxidants are. This one especially is related to having a healthy heart.

Anthocyanin can also help with the liver, eyesight, suppression of increasing human cancer cells, and act as a strong anti-inflammatory. 

Nutrition set aside, the acai bowl has been making it's aesthetic Instagram debut in 2017.  Say goodbye to the avo toast and hello to anthocyanin.  

Don't know how to incorporate purple foods into your diet? Try out this quick and easy coleslaw recipe or this eggplant pizza. Now go and join the 2017 food trend. Your health and Instagram will thank you later.