As exciting as Halloween weekend sounds as a first time college student, all I really want to do with myself on Halloween is trick-or-treat down Greek row, devouring king size Hersey bars the entire way.

trick-or-treating

Halloween has been talked about, planned for, and dreamed of since the beginning of syllabus week. It’s no surprise that the holiday is appealing to college students. It’s an escape from the bagged eye, over-exhausted reflection in the mirror and an opportunity to take on a new persona (or many) for at least a few days.

trick-or-treating

Photo courtesy of wikia.com

Yet from behind the Party City purchases, there’s an endless sense of nostalgia from college students yearning to have one final grasp of that tattered, worn down pillow case. Flashbacks of Halloween themed elementary school parties where parents dressed as princesses and cartoon characters are paired with memories of stomach aches from handfuls of sweets taken from bottomless stashes hidden underneath beds.

These reminiscing thoughts make up real Halloween, and the Halloween we have to look forward to is honestly just like any other college weekend with a somewhat unordinary outfit.

There’s really no reason college students couldn’t go trick-or-treating. We would benefit more than other other age group, and would fully appreciate the holiday on a different level.

1. We sure as hell need the free food.

trick-or-treating

Elementary school kids come home to real, cooked, completely free meals. What could they possibly need candy for other than an unneeded sugar high and a trip to the dentist. College kids are suffering from serious dorm food malnourishment. Maybe we don’t all need the calories, but at least candy would offer some variety from nightly Ramen.

2. We need the exercise.

trick-or-treating

Running house to house involves a lot of physical activity, more than most of us have had in months. With our longer legs and overall better stamina, we could potentially conquer a large distance on Halloween night. We no longer have mandatory P.E. classes to keep us in shape; trick-or-treating could be our only hope.

3. We need the interview skills.

trick-or-treating

Photo courtesy of totaljobs.com

Being a college student trick-or-treating would involve a lot of convincing with concerned and questioning parents. We would have an opportunity to practice building up an argument and selling our personal brand with an array of different people.

4. We don’t have a curfew.

trick-or-treating

We could go for longer than we ever did as kids. We don’t sleep much as it is. Door bells would be used to their full potential.

5. We are way more creative with our candy.

trick-or-treating

Photo courtesy of glorioustreats.com

We don’t just eat our candy. We bake our candy\, we decorate with our candy, and dress our candy up to perfection. We don’t just rip wrappers off, we find purposes for them.

6. We know how to deal with crazy people.

trick-or-treating

Photo courtesy of batman.wikia.com

It’s pretty dangerous for young children to be walking around at night by themselves. Halloween is pretty much a psychopath’s favorite holiday. College students are immune to dealing with psychopaths in their day to day lives from experiences with crazy roommates and professors who might need to be medicated.

7. We can help boost the economy.

trick-or-treating

It’s a pretty simple concept. We eat more and we cover more mileage. More candy would be needed to fill our needs. Grocery stores everywhere: you’re welcome.

8. It brings out our resting imagination.

trick-or-treating

College doesn’t offer many opportunities to bring out our inner child. If college students were to go trick-or-treating, they’d have to go above and beyond with costume choice to be taken seriously.

9. We sincerely miss Halloween.

trick-or-treating

If anything college students should be trick-or-treating. Sure, a select few of us look like we could be in our mid thirties and raising families, but other than that all we need is a decent mask and we’re set to pass for acceptable trick-or-treating age. We’re basically pros at the holiday anyway.