We all love baked and cooked foods, especially since pies and crumbles are hands down two of the best inventions created by human kind. Not to mention that any food which can be eaten with ketchup should be considered a food group. But, have you ever thought of an alternative?

Let me introduce you to raw diets. For each month, set aside a week or just a couple of days for a raw food only diet. Think of it as a detox, but instead of drinking tea or cleansing juices you are allowed to actually eat real food.

Here are some reasons why you should go to the raw side, at least once in awhile:

It’s fast.

Raw food

Photo by Hana Dibe

You don’t have to cook, and cleaning up is also no problem. Simply throw together a salad or raw cannelloni and voila, you have a meal ready in under 10 minutes.

It’s cheap. 

Raw food

Photo by Hana Dibe

As students, saving money is the most important thing next to passing school. Eating raw will stop you from buying an expensive 6-pack of muffins from your grocery store’s bakery and prevent you ordering delivery 24/7.

Try keeping a summary of your spending when eating a raw diet vs. a regular diet. Be prepared, the truth may be a bit harsh.

You’ve got the bragging rights. 

Raw food

Photo by Hana Dibe

Raw food diets keep you energized and clarify your mind. So when everyone is falling asleep as they study for the finals, you can go ham and do all nighters without feeling a thing.

The food is actually delicious. 

Raw food

Photo courtesy of Emily von Euwn on thisrawsomeveganlife.com

Raw food isn’t only munching on veggie sticks and sipping lemon infused water (that would be really sad).

The number of easy raw recipes online are countless, the sky is truly the limit. If you feel like being creative you can make butternut squash soup with cashew cream or a hearty chili. As a student, I highly recommend a chocolate hazelnut peanut butter cream cake. It’s heavenly and easy to make.

You’ll have a new appreciation for all things cooked. 

Raw food

Photo courtesy of Houston Press

You will never take them for granted again when you go back to the welcoming warmth of mac n’ cheese, steak, and cookies. Slowly savor each blissful bite instead of wolfing them down at warp-speed.