We all have those articles of clothing shoved in the back of our closet that still have the price tag on. A classic case of “I need it! I’ll find something to wear it to!“. Not to mention the random pots and pans that you’ve used once or twice, only to realize you really don’t need them. These items are taking up precious space in your closet and cabinets, so what can you do?

swapping

Gif courtesy of Giphy

Luckily, the newest trend right now is swapping sites. The definition of swapping is to exchange, barter or trade one thing for another. Sites like Bunz Trading Zone and Snapsale are the new biggest thing because instead of breaking the bank, you can trade what you already have for something new or buy items like designer clothes for cheap.

swapping

Photo courtesy of Bunz and Snapsale

Instead of letting that random cookware take up space, a site like Bunz allows you to trade your items for something that you really need (or want) like that cute romper you saw at the mall. Bunz has everything you could possibly need from concert tickets to unopened packages of food. The process is simple, you message the person who has an item you are interested in and agree on a meeting place and time. You both bring what you want to trade and voilà, you have a new house plant in exchange for your old scarf!

swapping

Photo courtesy of cbc.ca

Feeling a little worried about meeting up with a stranger? I felt the same way when I did my first trade. Luckily, Bunz has designated “trading zones” like subway stations where people can feel safer meeting up. This is similar to “safe trading zones” that you get on sites like Kijiji and Craigslist. You can also leave a review on the profile of someone you traded with. That way, you can check out what other people are saying about their fellow Bunz traders.

swapping

Photo courtesy of bunz.com

Sometimes it can be difficult to find something to trade, which is why Snapsale became popular. Snapsale is the fastest way to sell your stuff for money. With a set up that looks similar to Bunz including a home page where people post their items, Snapsale uses the same concept except for buying and selling only. You can pick from a variety of categories including clothes, accessories, shoes, pants, leather, decor, and many more. The site also tells you how far away the person you are swapping with is. This can be especially helpful since you don’t want to trek very far for a pair of shoes if the mall is much closer.

swapping

Photo courtesy of Snapsale

Etsy is another site that runs in a similar circle but isn’t quite a swapping site.The site allows users to buy vintage, handmade and unique items from individual artisan sellers around the world. Etsy has a variety of categories from wedding to entertainment to vintage. They have the sort of items that you would not normally find in a store, which is what makes them so special.

swapping

Photo courtesy of Etsy

Dying for a new statement necklace but don’t want to pay the price? Get onto a trading site today but be careful, it can get addictive.

swapping

Photo courtesy of Snapsale