Being a busy college student, I sometimes find it rather difficult to prepare and eat three meals a day. About 40% of my meals are double servings of cereal, and some nights my “dinner” is arugula doused with lemon juice (a makeshift salad). Although we may not always have enough time to sit down and eat a balanced meal, it’s important to make an effort to eat something, even when on the go. Skipping meals has more repercussions than you think.

Potential for overeating

Skip Meals

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

Think about it. When you actually have time to eat, you’ll tend to eat more because you’re #hangry and your mind is set on compensating for the food you missed. Many times, this means grabbing that extra slice of pizza or eating an excess of junk food, which isn’t in your best nutritional interest. Ultimately, missing one meal may cause you to take in more calories than necessary.

Low blood sugar and energy

Skip Meals

Your body needs a sufficient amount of sugar to convert into energy. While this doesn’t mean you should load up on those cookies from your favorite dining hall, you should eat an appropriate amount to keep your blood sugar steady. Fresh fruits are an excellent source of natural sugars. If you miss a meal, you risk having low energy levels and less regulated exercise, since you’ll be too tired to do leg day.

Low blood sugar levels don’t only affect your external functions. They also leave you fatigued and irritable, even inhibiting memory processing. And let’s face it, you need all the focus you can get for those exams.

Increased risk for diseases and viruses

Skip Meals

A study from the Harvard School of Public Health showed that people who missed breakfast were more susceptible to heart disease. Your body requires just the right mix of nutrients to produce vital lipids and hormones, and depriving your body of food creates insulin resistance and high blood pressure, among other things. A regular eating schedule should be followed so your body knows when food is coming and can efficiently adjust for it.

Skip Meals

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

Next time a regularly scheduled mealtime comes along, try and find a way to put at least something substantial in your body. It’ll help your body function and keep you engaged throughout the day. It’s always important to take care of your health, kiddos, even if that means running between school and work with a half-eaten salad in your hand.