The best things in life are food, and the best kinds of food are those that are as pleasing to the eye as they are to the taste buds. What food could fulfill such a high standard, you ask? Three words: eggs over easy.

egg yolk

GIF courtesy of huffingtonpost.com

I don’t know about you, but for me there are few experiences more beautiful than watching an over-easy egg burst onto your food. Whether it’s on a burger or avocado toast, the egg adds an element of beauty truly unmatched by anything I’ve ever experienced.

egg yolk

Photo by Caty Schnack

And it doesn’t just end when the egg bursts. The gooey, delicious yolk adds endless flavor and fun to any meal. Sure, it gets messy, but what’s life without a little mess?

There is something satisfying about the perfect over-easy egg break. Watching the yolk gently ooze over your food can lead to some uncomfortably arousing feelings. I’m here to tell you that it’s okay. You are not alone in your attraction to egg yolk. There’s an entire community dedicated to #yolkporn on Instagram, and let me tell you, it’s definitely sexual.

egg yolk

Photo by Megan Prendergast

I think one of the best things about this ingredient is that it’s good at any time of the day. You might first think of a breakfast preparation on avo toast, or just with some salt. (Beauty in simplicity amirite?) For lunch, you can throw it in a salad or on top of a sandwich with no problem.

egg yolk

Photo by Meredith Spillane

The true créme de la créme of the egg yolk world, however, is the dinner option: an egg over easy on a cheeseburger. My mouth is watering as I write about this. Absolutely NOTHING compares to the taste and beauty of an egg running all over a burger. The meat, the cheese, the bacon (if you’re me, or a good orderer) and the egg yolk come together perfectly. Yes, it isn’t the healthiest meal, but taste > health. Please.

Photo courtesy of noshon.it

Speaking of simplicity, let’s talk about how damn easy it is to make an egg over easy. Three steps: 1. Crack egg into a cup. 2. Pour egg into a pan. 3. Watch egg cook.

OK, it may be a tad more involved than that, but that’s the general gist. A watched pot may never boil, but a watched egg will always turn out perfectly over easy. In a rush? Throw an egg on a pan, make some toast, throw them together and hit the road.

egg yolk

therunnyyolk.tumblr.com

And the cherry on top of this magically beautiful and delicious food trend? It’s good for you. A recent Huffington Post article details the benefits of egg yolks, saying that egg yolks are rich in heart-protective cholesterol. They’re also full of vitamins associated with improved brain function. That’s right, they literally make you smarter.

You know what they say: an egg yolk a day keeps the doctor away. So embrace your feelings towards egg yolk. It’s beautiful. It’s elegant. It’s easy. It’s delicious.