What's the best place to grab a bite? Well, here in Lawrence you have a plethora of places to pick from. From burgers to sushi, tacos, cookies, and more the options never stop. The home of the University of Kansas has anything a college student could ask for. After being here for three years I have definitely taken my time to enjoy the offerings in town, and these places are only some of the greats. 

1. When you're looking for a great hunk of meat: The Burger Stand

Looking for a mouthwatering burger? Well say no more, because the Burger Stand has everything you need from low-carb turkey burgers to high life Kobe beef. And you can never go wrong with a side of duck-fat or truffle fries. If you want to hit up the bar then the Casbah is just right down stairs. Beer, burgers and fries, could you ask for anything else?

What to Order: The Smoke with a Kobe patty and duck fat fries makes a heart attack seem worthwhile.

Location: 803 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS 66044

2. When you need tacos at 2am: Fuzzy's Taco Shop

Ah the memories—or at least the ones that stuck around. Open late and just downwind of the bars on Mass street lies Fuzzy's Taco Shop. It's the only place to get your fix of huevos rancheros at one in the morning.

What to Order: Tempura fish soft tacos with a side of cilantro-lime rice always hits the spot after a night out.

Location: 1115 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS 66044

3. When you're craving a healthy brunch: First Watch

For the early risers and the hungover zombies, First Watch is the best place to get your healthy, but delicious crave on. I've never been there without having to wait five minutes or so, so they must be doing something right.

What to Order: Parma hash is a hardy, but not so unhealthy way to start off you day to. With sausage, mushroom, onions, tomato, and cheese it's hard to beat.

Location: 2540 Iowa St, Lawrence, KS 66046

4. When you have the munchies at 2am: Hot Box Cookies

Milk and cookies delivered to your door on those late drunken nights. Hot Box Cookies has just moved its location to on campus, so for those of you who live in the dorms, have no fear. With cookies to warm your soul and a large variety to choose from, Hot Box is never the wrong place to be.

What to Order: Definitely has to be the red velvet cookie, yeah you heard right. There's nothing to complain about when it comes to cookies coming to your door.

Location: 1200 Oread Ave, Lawrence, KS 66044

5. When you're feeling adventurous: India Palace 

For anyone who wants to explore the flavor opportunities in Lawrence, I 100% recommend India Palace with a lunch buffet. It's definitely worthwhile to go there. The smell of spices and seasoning hit you the second you walk in, and it's warm and inviting. If you've never had Indian food, do go to the buffet and explore what you like and don't like.

What to Order: I only go there during the buffet, but I can never go without getting at least one (or a plate of) samosas.

Location: 129 E 10th St, Lawrence, KS 66044

6. When eating another package of Top Ramen will ruin you: Ramen Bowls

shrimp, lobster, crab
Justin Ko

As an Asian man, I have to say that Ramen Bowls really sets the bar for what real ramen is. I mean, this is a college town, I had to put a place that actually specializes in the official food sponsor of college students. If you're sick and tired of that basic top ramen (or just sick) head on over and grab a bowl.  

What to Order: As a guy whose family came from an island I can't say no to the seafood ramen bowl with a side of pork gyoza.

Location: 125 E 10th St, Lawrence, KS 66044

7.  When you're feeling fancy: Hank Charcuterie 

null
null

It took me a solid month to be able to say charcuterie correctly and know what it meant, but after I did, man, was I a happy camper. Sunday at Hank's is exclusively brunch food, and when it comes to farm to table these guys know their stuff.

On the wall near the entrance has a list of the farms they get their produce from, and the atmosphere is something that lets you relax while enjoying your burnt-end hash. Also near the cash register Hank Charcuterie a selection of meats ranging from house made sausages to lamb chops, so after eating feel free to grab something to grill up at home.

What to Order: Sunday's burnt-end hash is great way to start off the day.

Location: 1900 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS 66046

8. When you need to beat the Kansas heat: House Of Cha

For those of you who have no idea what bubble tea is, check out the House of Chá. This little place has some of the best bubble tea in the state, and as many times as I've had bubble tea, I can attest to that. It's an awesome place to grab a drink, especially on a hot Kansas day.

What to Order: Always a sucker for the lemon honeydew bubble tea.

Location: 21 W 9th St, Lawrence, KS 66044

9. When you're on a deadline: Java Break

caramel, ice, cream, chocolate, sundae
Justin Ko

For the caffeine addict who needs the fix at any time, you're in luck. Java Break, to my knowledge, is the only coffee shop in town open 24 hours a day. With a wall filled of people's drawings and memories, this serves as a museum for the sleep deprived in lovely Lawrence, KS.

What to Order: The Lt. Dan (in honor of the Forest Gump character the Lt. Dan) is my go to drink, of course always with an added extra two shots.

Location: 17 E 7th St, Lawrence, KS 66044

10. When you want to pair your beer with your meal: Merchants Pub and Plate

For a good night out and craft beer, it's hard to beat Merchants Pub and Plate. With a strong and loyal costumer base, this corner restaurant on Mass will stand the test of time. With good beer and good food, this is a strong contender for one of my favorite places in Lawrence.

What to Order: Seared scallops are my main when it comes to Merchants. Tempura broccolini and well-cooked scallops makes this college student one lucky man.

Location: 746 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS 66044

Don't Forget:

If I had an infinite list I'd put these babies down, but definitely check out:

Munchers Bakery, Cielito Lindo Mexican Restaurant, Free State Brewing Company, Aladdin's Cafe, The Roost, Ladybird Diner, Terrebonne Po' Boys, Yokohama, Wheatfields Bakery Cafe, and Little Saigon Cafe.