I know you’re sick of the rubber chicken and boring salad-station in the dining hall, so listen up. Each Tuesday in the Cabaret, Marist Dining Services holds the Valley Café, where they create a custom menu using local and regional ingredients from local farms and distributors to serve up a tasty and sustainable meal to us Red Foxes. Don’t worry about your thrifty or Marist money, all you need is one cafe swipe, and you’re in.

Valley Café

Photo by Emily Baksa

Being the lazy person that I am (let’s be real, you are too), I had never gone to the Valley Café before. It was one of those “I’ll go one day, eventually…” kind of things. That all changed this past Tuesday when I decided to finally take myself to the Cab for a change up in my lunch routine.

Valley Café

Photo by Emily Baksa

I happily hopped onto the back of the long line that overflowed out of the cab entrance, leading me to believe that waiting would be worth it, and it sure was. I was pleasantly surprised by the wide variety of foods that they had to offer, and EVERYTHING was good.

The themed meal on the Tuesday that I attended was Black History Month, featuring Fire Roasted Vegetarian Gumbo, Soul Smothered Chicken, Sweet Potato Pie, homemade sweet southern tea, and so much more.

Valley Café

Photo by Sophia Kalogeris

And because the ingredients are all locally grown and distributed, the menu changes from week to week accordingly. They do take suggestions, so if you are feeling like having something really different, the Valley Cafe will answer your call. Here are a few more highlights from the Valley Café:

Valley Café

Photo by Emily Baksa

Tell me this doesn’t make your mouth water.

Valley Café

Photo by Emily Baksa

Fresh ingredients, a new lunch setting, and no more rubber chicken? You can count me in every week. With seating available on a first come, first served basis, make sure to get your ticket for the next Valley Café at the Dining Hall cashier starting at 11:30 am each Tuesday. Cupcake Tuesday is around all day, so what do you have to lose?