When I feel less than 100%, my day, week, and sometimes my entire month automatically sucks a little bit more. Whether it's the common cold, pain, or a new field of blemishes that decide to appear on my forehead, the only thing constantly running through my mind is the hope to get better soon. Of course, there are medicines that treat the symptoms, but I want something that's going to alleviate my sickness long term without having to deal with the side effects. What I really need is a natural remedy for sickness and pain.

juice, cocktail, vegetable, smoothie, carrot, sweet, celery
Photo courtesy of pixaby.com

That's why adding juices to your diet can be so awesome. Fruits, veggies, greens, and herbs all have potent powers that can improve your ailments, without side effects. And juicing is the perfect way to incorporate more of these essentials into your diet. Here are some ingredients you can put in your juice to make the ultimate remedy whenever you're not feeling 100%.

When You're Sick

macaroni, pasta
Alyssa Carter

Pineapples are the perfect juicing ingredient if you're fighting off a cold. With over 130% of the recommended daily amount of Vitamin C, pineapples activate white blood cells to boost your immune system. Plus, they contain an enzyme called bromelain, which prevents the build up of phlegm and mucous, and even gets rid of the mucous already in your body. Pineapples are also great tasting, making them wonderful for sweetening your juice.

Add some mint to your juice to free yourself from congestion and coughing. The strong scent of mint helps clear up congestion in the nose, throat, and lungs, which simultaneously dispels any irritants that cause coughing (that's why so many vapor rubs are mint-based – I know, mind-blowing).

herb, cabbage, vegetable, kale, broccoli
Alyssa Carter

With its countless benefits, kale is always a good choice for juicing a natural remedy for sickness and pain. Surprisingly, it has even more Vitamin C than oranges to help kick sickness to the curb. Whenever you're sick, stop drinking orange juice and start juicing some kale.

Ginger is one of the most popular remedies for cold and flu. It contains a natural oil called gingerol, which is responsible for ginger's potent smell and flavor. This compound is packed with antioxidants that remove any harmful agents in the body.

sweet, vegetable, juice, apple
Alyssa Carter

If the above ingredients aren't enough, pretty much any fruit or veggie with high levels of Vitamin C or lots of antioxidants is a good choice for a cold remedy. Lemons, carrots, or celery, for example, would be great additions to your juice.

When You're in Pain

pear, apple, juice
Alex Tom

If you want to heal a small cut or wound, try juicing pears. The Vitamin C in pears stimulates new tissue growth, which speeds up the healing process so that you can be alleviated from your injury faster. Pears also bring a subtle, sweet flavor to enhance your juice.

As you already know, pineapples are high in Vitamin C, meaning they, too, can help heal your wounds and injuries. They also have anti-inflammatory properties to help reduce pain and inflammation from injuries, joint pain, or a recent surgery.

tuber, galangal, pasture, vegetable, ginger
Photo courtesy of Amine Kadar on Flickr.com

Ginger also has anti-inflammatory properties that alleviate joint pain and stiffness. Studies have shown that people with arthritis who took ginger extract experienced less pain and had to take less pain medication than those that did not take it. But what makes ginger even better is that it relieves muscle pain. That's right, ladies. Ginger can relieve menstrual cramps.

If you need some other options for your natural remedy for sickness and pain, celery and jalapeños have anti-inflammatory properties, too. 

When You Want Healthy Skin

vegetable, sweet, cucumber
Alyssa Carter

Cucumbers have a refreshing taste and high water content, which makes them perfect for juicing. The high water content hydrates the body, which, in turn, moisturizes the skin. Cucumbers also contain silica, a chemical compound that leaves you with a glowing complexion. This fruit is also often recommended to heal acne.

Kale can help you achieve healthy skin as well. It contains high levels of retinol A, a nutrient that is essential for tissue growth, including the growth of skin. This process leaves the skin moisturized. Kale is also rich in sulfur, which eliminates toxins from the skin and reduces the appearance of scars. 

pear, apple, pasture, sweet, juice
Meghan Buonanno

To help you stay forever young, juice some pears. They contain a solid amount of Vitamin A, a compound that can reduce the effects of aging, particularly in the skin. Pears are also known to treat skin conditions like eczema and dermatitis.

When You're Hungover

juice
Photo courtesy of popsugar

Hangovers usually come with killer headaches and/or awful nausea. If you're hungover, or at least experiencing the symptoms of a hangover, try including these ingredients in your juice.

Celery can cure those unbearable headaches after a night out. Its compounds suppress Nitric Oxide release, which can be responsible for headaches or migraines. 

Once again, ginger proves to be amazing. It's been shown to be very effective in alleviating various types of nausea. So if you're paying for your drinking habits from the night before, or even if you're experiencing morning sickness, try adding ginger to your juice to reduce any unendurable nausea.

vegetable, herb
Alyssa Carter

Not-so-surprisingly, mint's soothing aroma can tackle both nausea and headaches, so it'd be a good idea to add this herb to your hangover cure.

Jalapeños are not only a great way to literally spice up your juice, but research also suggests that they can effectively treat migraines. A compound found in jalapeños called Capsaicin puts a stop to a neuropeptide called Substance P, which is a brain pain transmitter. So next time you go out, make sure you have some jalapeños (without the seeds – or maybe with, if you're feeling adventurous) ready for juicing. 

banana, juice, pasture, vegetable, apple, pineapple

Incorporating more fruits and veggies into your diet is always a great idea, but knowing the specific purpose they serve is even better. If you're like me, you don't necessarily enjoy getting your greens in, so juicing is honestly the best way to create the fresh-tasting remedy you need to fight sickness or pain. Now, you're equipped to take action any time you're under the weather.

#SpoonTip: Learn how to make juice without the juicer.