Trying to stay healthy? Not trying to break your New Year's resolution? Olive Garden may be known for loading up on carbs, but don't give up so fast. Check out these awesome options to stay healthy at your favorite Italian eatery.

Herb-Grilled Salmon

meat, steak, pepper, vegetable, fillet, grilled salmon, barbecue
Photo courtesy of Olive Garden

This delicious dish is a perfect, well-rounded meal. Get your serving of protein and Omega-3 fatty acids, along with a side of broccoli for your serving of veggies. This option clocks in at about 460 calories. Yum.  

Minestrone Soup and Side House Salad

If you're in the mood for a light dish, definitely try this. The minestrone soup is vegan, with only beans, pasta, and light veggies. Get a salad with dressing on the side and you're golden. With a light dish like this, you can afford to have one of those delicious bread sticks without too much damage. 

Garlic Rosemary Chicken

Going for a marinated chicken rather than a fried chicken is an easy way to stay healthy. If you want to get even healthier, swap the mashed potatoes for a side of roasted veggies. Still, this dish is jam packed with protein. (Note: May be discontinued in some locations.)

Mini Spaghetti with Meat Sauce

If you're in the mood for the classic Italian dish, make sure you order the Spaghetti with Meat Sauce Mini Pasta Bowl. This gives you a smaller serving with all the same delicious flavors. The meat gives you protein and the pasta, which you can switch to whole grain, will give you the perfect serving of carbs.   

Olive Garden also has a new lighter fare menu, which offers even more healthy options. And, for the times you are eating dinner in, check out this article so you know how to shop. Pasta can still be healthy, so don't give up on Olive Garden so fast. I mean, what is life without a little pasta. A carb-free life? Over my bread body.