If you want to see what pure fear looks like, then say "UTI" to a group full of women. The painful, nauseating symptoms from a urinary tract infection will creep back into their minds and make them relive the unpleasant time they had until their antibiotics kicked in.

Although men can have urinary tract infections as well, they are more commonly diagnosed in women. UTIs occur when bacteria enters the urinary tract through the urethra and begins to multiply in the bladder.

Symptoms include consistent urge to urinate, a burning sensation when urinating, passing only small amounts of urine, which can be cloudy, red or bright pink (watch out, that is a sign of blood in your urine), unpleasant smelling urine and pelvic pain.

Being that women are more than likely to get more than one UTI in their lifetime, it is no surprise that I have had my fair share of them. Now I can live to tell the tale of how AWFUL and REAL those symptoms are.

I have learned tons of tricks to make the infection not as torturous throughout my lifetime. While there are medicines and painkillers that can help diminish the pain from this pesky infection, taking too much medication after awhile, like antibiotics, can become harmful to your body. Sometimes changing your diet can be the simple solution. 

Next time you have a UTI load up on these foods and drinks so you can help kick that infection right out of your body:

Water

water, fish
Christin Urso

Stop what you are doing and drink a large glass of water. Now. The best way to get the infection out of your system is by drinking liquids to flush it out. Water is the best option for this being that it does not contain anything to irritate the infection.

It is recommended that you drink 6 to 8, 8 oz. glasses of water a day to make sure that your body is flushing out any harmful bacteria that may be hanging out in your bladder. 

Cranberry Juice   

ketchup, tomato, vegetable, condiment
Abby Cote

Cranberry juice is one of the more popular, go-to drinks when you have a UTI. While cranberry juice won't magically cure your infection (sigh, if only), it is thought that it can help prevent the bacteria from spreading.

According to researchers, cranberries contain substances that prevent infection-causing bacteria from sticking to the urinary tract walls. However, since multiple studies do not show clear evidence of cranberry juice being a cure to UTIs, this is one of those things that you will have to try yourself to see if it makes a difference in your body. 

If you are not a huge fan of cranberry juice, or you just have used it too many times as a chaser to drink it without alcohol, then pick up some cranberry pills. These pills also help prevent UTIs by having anti-adhesion properties within the antioxidants

Yogurt

tea, beer
Alex Frank

When you have a UTI and you're on some heavy-duty antibiotics, you need probiotics immediately. Probiotics are seen as "good" bacteria that can help balance the "bad" bacteria, while helping to improve symptoms that occur with UTIs.

Luckily, yogurt is a food that is rich in probiotics. Try to eat yogurts that are unsweetened. If you are in debate on which kind of yogurt to buy, then find out the difference between regular and Greek yogurt in this article. 

Garlic

garlic, vegetable, elephant garlic, condiment
Kai Huang

Who would've thought that garlic could help cure your UTI? Garlic contains compounds that can kill bacteria, including those that cause a UTI.

Instead of chowing down on a raw piece of garlic, try making a cup of garlic tea. Peel and mash a couple of fresh garlic cloves, then place them into warm water. Let the cloves steep for five minutes before drinking. I know, this drink sounds disgusting. But when you have a UTI you will be willing to do anything to get rid of it. 

It is also noted by doctors that you should avoid certain drinks and foods as well. Drinking citrus drinks, tomato juice, coffee and alcohol can make urinating more painful. You should also avoid any spicy foods, acidic fruits and chocolate

Having a UTI is one of those things that no one wants to have but it somehow always creeps back into our lives. If you have never had a UTI—wow, you are blessed—then make sure you read up on how to prevent from ever getting one

Stay healthy, everyone.