As a control freak, there are many things that are out of my control in this world and one of them is restaurants. As a control freak who is also a foodie, there is an unavoidable draw that somehow keeps me coming back to restaurants regardless of all of these restaurant nightmares that make me cringe.

Here are some huge issues that control freaks like me run into when eating out.

They run out of something that you were planning on ordering.

control freak

Actually deciding on what to order is enough of a struggle for me (especially with long menus —don’t even get me started), so when I tell the waiter my order and he informs me that the kitchen just ran out of that item, I panic. I stutter and blurt out the first thing comes to mind for my backup order, immediately feeling regret.

The service is slow.

control freak

Going out to eat is such a treat. However, when I go to a restaurant, I am more than likely already hungry. I sit down, order my food, and wait. The clock has never moved slower. When my food takes longer than normal due to a crowded restaurant and my hunger becomes more pressing, I wonder what would happen if I were to walk into the kitchen and grab my plate itself.

You get a new waiter in the middle of your meal.

control freak

I was just warming up to this stranger and now I have to get comfortable with a new one? Stranger danger.

The restaurant doesn’t have an online menu.

control freak

As a control freak, one of my favorite things to do is plan out exactly what I am going to order before I even step foot into the restaurant. If a restaurant doesn’t have their menu online, it really throws off my ordering game.

#SpoonTip: Check Instagram geotags to get a feel of what your options are before going to a restaurant without a menu.

It’s too damn loud.

control freak

I go out to eat with friends or family to catch up and have a nice conversation. Sometimes restaurants have weird acoustics, or sometimes there are just so many people that I have to scream to communicate or feel like I need a hearing aid to hear what my friends are saying. Is getting up on the table and asking everyone to whisper going too far?

Awkward encounters are inevitable.

control freak

Run-ins with people that you aren’t expecting are bad enough, but if you’re just trying to enjoy a nice meal, they’re even worse.

They don’t allow substitutions.

control freak

No substitutions? But I’m gluten and dairy-free and I’m also a vegan. Whether you’re a picky eater or have dietary needs, when a restaurant does not allow substitutions, there’s gonna be an issue.