I, along with almost 100,000 other people follow the food adventures of @foodbabyny on Instagram. Obviously, it isn’t the cute infant Matt and toddler Sam posting these fantastic pics. The genius behind the delicious food and cute baby combo is their dad, Mike Chau.
It started as an accident, where Matt just happened to be in the background of Mike’s picture of takeout. That accident has made @foodbabyny one of Instagram’s most popular food accounts. I had a nice chat with Mike and got to know a little more about him, his wife Alex, their two children Matthew and Samantha and what it’s like living and eating around New York City and beyond.
1. Mike Chau, @foodbaby’s dad, is Half Chinese and Half Jewish
2. Food aesthetics are taken into account when choosing where to eat
Of course he and his wife ultimately choose location based on the knowledge that the food will be enjoyable for both. But let’s be honest here, who isn’t #EatingForTheGram these days?
3. Mike finds new spots through Eater, Grub Street and other food Instagram accounts
If you want to eat what’s hot and new, you gotta do your research, people.
4. Matt doesn’t eat everything in the pictures
Contrary to what you may think, he does not eat that whole fried egg, cheese, avocado and special sauce covered burger. He may have a taste, of a simple toasted and sprinkled marshmallow from some ice cream for instance, but for the most part Matt is a very healthy eater.
5. But Matt does love chocolate
Matt also loves fruits and vegetables, so it all balances out. But this kid knows what’s good. Chocolate lovers, unite!
6. Matty really is just a cool kid to be around
Mike says that Matt, “has just got a great personality. We don’t even tell him to be goofy, he just does it naturally.” What a perfectly adorable, hilarious and joy-filled child. Could we ask for more?
7. The best perk of @foodbabyny is that Mike gets to be with his family
#SquadGoals, #LifeGoals, #FoodGoals, #EverythingGoals
8. Foodbaby’s mom, Alex Chau, loves sushi but wasn’t able to have it when she was pregnant
This small glimpse about the mother of both food babies, Alex Chau, shows us that you can be both a responsible mother and consumer of scrumptious foods all at the same time.
9. They eat healthy during the week to prepare for the weekend food shenanigans
Be sure to know that healthy is not neglected in this household. Health and balance includes indulgence, too.
10. Mike got his Bachelor’s and Masters in Computer Science from Boston University
*Shoutout to the BU homies.
11. Mike was not a foodie in college
While in college, he stuck to a strict diet to keep the weight off that he had lost while battling with weight problems growing up. He didn’t actually get really into the food scene and Yelp reviewing until 2012. It seems to me that he has now found the perfect balance between indulgence and nutritious eating.
12. Mike is from Forest Hills, Queens where he and his family currently live now
It’s only right that the best and most beautiful New York City eats are brought to us by a born and raised New Yorker himself. Thank you to the Chau family for the brilliance that are two things we all love, cute babies and a great food pic.
Some of Mike’s Favorites Around New York City:
Yeast Donuts: The Doughnut Project
Pizza: Prince Street Pizza (by the slice)
Burgers: Black Tap Craft Burgers and Beer