Whether you like it or not, the seasonal release of the PSL (crafted using Starbucks' Pumpkin Spice Sauce) signifies the transition from summer to fall, and there's nothing better than a good ole pumpkin spice latte to get your Halloween-blood pumpin'. Except... maybe the truth?

The Facts

You may have heard a rumor that the pumpkin spice blend doesn't have any pumpkin. And up until 2015, that was true. In 2014, NPR took it upon themselves to expose Starbucks for their misleading marketing tactics. After they outed Starbucks for the lack of any pumpkin in their PSL, the chain was under fire. When the news spread, Starbucks responded by changing their recipe to include "pumpkin puree" in their "pumpkin spice sauce.

Sketchy Business

Now, this may seem like good news. But... there's still some sketchy business behind the scenes. What Starbucks probably doesn't want you to know, is that pumpkin isn't the most prominent ingredient...and neither are the spices. It's sugar! Starbucks reveals that there are 39, 50, and 64 grams of sugar in the tall, grande, and venti PSLs , respectively. They go on to describe pumpkin as merely a "flavor note," alongside nutmeg and cinnamon. Although it is not disclosed exactly how much pumpkin exists in the PSL, it is safe to say that it is not one of the first ingredients in the drink. In fact, it is included in the form of a "puree" in their "pumpkin spice sauce," which combines various ingredients (natural and artificial) to create a synthetic essence of pumpkin pie. The first ingredient in this sauce? Sugar. 

To make matters worse, real spices are NOT generally used either. The mixture of nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger that you watch the barista sprinkle on top of your whipped cream is added mostly for decorative measures, as well as to give you a false sense of using "real ingredients."

How To Respond

So, what we have here is a latte grounded in two main ingredients that barely exist in the entire drink? Are you mad yet? 

Well, don't be! This is capitalism at its finest. So you really shouldn't be surprised. Starbucks is not the only culprit, as ALL your favorite chains do it (including DUNKIN, McDonald's, Caribou Coffee,etc.) At the end of the day, it all comes down to marketing. The connotation of the word "pumpkin" brings about positive feelings for fall, subsequently making people want to drink it. After one sip, you're a goner. That sweet sugary goodness is tempting, what can I say. We've all been there, so don't be embarrassed.

Happy Fall 

So, yes. They may have lied, but who really cares. This season is about tricks and treats, and that's exactly what they did. If you don't like it, try another flavor! The fact of the matter is that their trickery has got you FOOLED boiiiiiii.