Before this experiment I had only done one juice cleanse, but in looking for a healthy way to start off the summer I decided another juice cleanse (or 2) was in order. My intentions were to cleanse my body completely while trying some juices I’ve had my eye on for a while. I’ve logged my day-to-day thoughts and compiled some tips from my experiences below:

(Note: I was sent these cleanses for review, however my statements are my own).

“3-Day Whenever Cleanse with Coconut Fusion” from Juice From the Raw

juice

Photo by Hanna Lundgren

Day 1:

I started off energetic and excited for what the day would bring. The Detox Greens juice was sweet and clean, much more bearable than some green juices I’ve had, and an enjoyable way to start the day.

juice

Photo by Hanna Lundgren

However, I couldn’t get enough of the Pine Apple Mint juice. Actually, I wanted at least four more. The Sweet Greens juice was good, but less exciting after the amazing juice I’d had earlier. I continued with the Spicy Lemonade (one of my go-to juices in a regular week). I was feeling so good that I decided to go on a short hike.

juice

Photo by Hanna Lundgren

It was rewarding to feel like I was detoxing and physically fit.

juice

Photo by Hanna Lundgren

When I got back, however, I was so hangry. I remained cranky through the fifth juice which was made up of root veggies. It was a sweet and earthy juice that I could have loved if I wasn’t so ready to eat something. This cleanse recommends you eat one raw vegetable with salt (because of the lack of sodium in the juices) so I chose cucumbers and Celtic sea salt because it is alkaline.

juice

Photo by Hanna Lundgren

After finishing the fifth juice, it was time for a creamy dessert: the Coconut Fusion. I had been waiting to try this one all day. I’m the biggest proponent of young Thai coconuts and this blended both the coconut water and meat together in a creamy and perfect way. After a long day of work and no food, I retired with this creamy drink to watch a Melissa McCarthy film. What more could you want?

Day 2:

Day 2 was not as cheery as Day 1 in that at noon I remembered I hadn’t eaten in a day and a half. I sipped on the juices a bit quicker so when it got to be 4:00pm and I only had 2 left I grew quite cranky. I was out in the sun in the morning and went shopping mid-day so my energy was draining. Although, the best part of Day 2 was getting to look forward to my favorite juices: Pine Apple Mint and Coconut Fusion.

juice

Photo by Hanna Lundgren

By 6:00pm, I was more excited to eat cucumbers than I ever had been and I practically forced myself to fall asleep at 9:30pm because I was so bored and hungry that only sleep would take my mind off of it.

Day 3:

Have you ever woken up and not wanted to do anything or talk to anyone and no matter what happened you were maddened? That was Day 3. Since I drank the juices way too quickly on Day 2 I paced myself so that during the afternoon (my worst time) I could chug with eyes on the prize.

With my energy level at negative 4 that meant movie time, except, one of my top five movies of all time (The Hundred-Foot Journey) which also happens to be one of most droolable films was on, and I couldn’t change the channel. Alas, I was in an agonizing 124 minute flavor-induced coma while sipping on liquid vegetables.

The next morning I practically fell down my stairs rushing to the kitchen to make breakfast: sautéed mushroom scramble with avocado and peaches. It’s amazing that you start craving healthier foods after this.

juice

Photo by Hanna Lundgren

“Seasonal Reset Juice Cleanse” from Project Juice

juice

Photo by Hanna Lundgren

After five glorious days of eating food, I embarked on yet another juice cleanse. I tried to stick to cleansing and healthy foods during that week to come down from the first and prepare for the second but on the fifth day all cares went out the window when I chowed down on a cheesy panini and two desserts before a life-changing few hours at Queen B’s Formation Tour.

juice

Photo by Hanna Lundgren

Day 1:

The next morning was a rude awakening. After the concert the night before I woke up only wanting to be “drinking watermelon” and “Lemonade,” but knowing that 6 juices were in my future instead. It helped that I didn’t get up until noon (It’s easier to fight the hangry feeling when you start drinking them later in the day). This cleanse had 3 green juices that were pretty similar (one Green Ginger, one Green Lemon, and one Sweet Greens).

juice

Photo by Hanna Lundgren

It was a rude awakening at first but over the three days I began to enjoy them. I spent the day in my Beyonce t-shirt, drinking juices and watching The Office, relishing every snapchat from the night before.

juice

Photo by Hanna Lundgren

Day 2:

Instead of embracing the rainy day with a bucket of popcorn at the movies, I went to support my high school rowing team for their last race of the season. Forging ahead with my juice cooler in tow, it was actually a great day, besides being surrounded by amazing barbecue food and reluctantly sucking down green juices. I Finished off the night really craving soup but sipping on the outrageously creamy cashew mylk (it’s seriously so good).

juice

Photo by Hanna Lundgren

Day 3:

The last day of this experiment flew by and was the easiest of all. I think it was because I knew in a few hours I could eat for as long as I wanted. Project Juice also sent me along some “wellness shots” (3 Liver Flushes and 3 Tummy Tonics) to have each day. The Tummy Tonics were quite tart but enjoyable (I weirdly like the taste of apple cider vinegar) but the Liver Flushes just about wrecked me. It was the most potent thing I’ve ever had to drink…seriously. It had grapefruit, beet, aloe (who knew you could drink this), cayenne, milk thistle and burdock root in it (what…).

juice

Photo by Hanna Lundgren

The biggest obstacle I faced that day was smelling my mom’s stuffed portobellos all afternoon and knowing I had to wait until lunch the next day to indulge. The next morning I woke up and immediately recreated my favorite juice from Project Juice “Recharge” made with grapefruit, beets, strawberries and oranges. Boy was that good.

juice

Photo by Hanna Lundgren

After ALL of that craziness, I lost 6 pounds and gained a new perspective on food and eating.