What does arugula taste like? Well my friend, arugula is personally my favorite type of salad leaf base, because it has that unique "peppery" taste. It is best served in summer salads with a vinaigrette dressing.

bread, ham, cheese
Andrea Kang

More On the Taste

Like mentioned earlier, arugula is best described to have a "peppery" and slightly spicy taste. Basically, what black pepper smells like, arugula tastes like. When you get your hands on fresh arugula, you'll notice that the texture is thin, but the leaf will have the slightest crisp to it. Always buy it fresh because it will be able to stand up to dressing, and the taste and smell will be most potent. The after taste should just faintly be peppery, but not the spice you taste when eating.

Arugula will lose that crispness quickly, and often become soggy. You will know if its gone bad just by the look. The leafs will get dark and look wet. If, for some reason, you are still questioning whether or not it is good, smell it. If it smells spoiled, nasty, and the peppery smell comes off as sour, it is no good.

avocado, salad, arugula, sandwich
Alexandra Capello

But... Salad.

Yes, I know people say that salads are gross because no one really likes to eat anything green, but arugula is seriously delicious. It does not taste anything like spinach, but it actually has a taste compared to iceberg lettuce or romaine. Arugula will add a serious kick to your salad by giving it that peppery taste. It will honestly take a salad from bland, to a kick-ass, fresh, make you wanna dance salad (maybe not literally, but it sure will taste better).

When using arugula as a base for a salad, I recommend keeping the salad simple. Arugula has such a strong flavor, that you do not want to have too much going on. I like to pair it with cherry tomatoes, the slightest bit of onion, and shaved parmesan. With arugula's leaves being crisp yet dainty, avoid using a thick dressing like ranch. It is best to stick to a simple vinaigrette. The theme here is simple.

And Maybe a Lil' Pizza Too...

pizza, chicken, arugula, tomato
Lauren DiNardo

Arugula is fantastic and can totally stand alone in a salad, but it is also great on when lightly tossed with pasta before serving. We promise you that it is nothing like spinach, so there is no need to avoid it. If you are still wondering "What does arugula taste like?" seriously go out and try it! If salads aren't your thing at the end of the day, try arugula on top of a pizza and your life will be changed forever.