Specializing in vegan, organic, dark, raw chocolate—that is also gluten, soy, nut, and refined white sugar-free—Those Girls at the Market pride themselves on creating healthy, homemade chocolate that everyone can enjoy. 

beer, tea
Riegann McAuley

What started as a “small summer gig,” Julianna Tan explained, and a way for the sisters to bond turned into a full-fledged business. Founded officially in 2014, Julianna and her sister Ying had already been making raw chocolate for themselves for six years. 

Julianna earned her degree in Kinesiology from the University of Dalhousie. After spending three years on the east coast, Ying convinced her to come home for the summer. Their plan was to set up a small booth at the local farmer's market, but this little booth ended up generating an enormous following. 

Chocolate itself is really healthy for you—if you have the right ingredients,” Julianna explained. As described in their website's FAQ section, “raw chocolate is made with the unroasted form of cocoa beans that have been dried at low temperatures, often referred to as “cacao”…raw cacao does not reach temperatures above 114 degrees Fahrenheit.”

Using lower temperatures ensures the antioxidants, phytonutrients, and minerals are maintained. Antioxidants bind with damaging free radicals within the body to decrease ones’ risk of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, arthritis, fibromyalgia, Parkinson’s, and Alzheimer’s. 

Consisting of 4 simple ingredients—cacao paste, cacao butter, maple syrup, and flavourings— the girls ensure that every product is grown ethically and sustainably. The chocolate has a decadent smooth, melt-in-your-mouth texture; the love and effort put into each bar are evident in everything from the personalized bags and gorgeous presentation.

Those Girls at the Market offer five staple flavours: vanilla, coffee, mint, cranberry sea-salt, and sugar-free. Julianna's personal favourite (and mine as well!) is the cranberry sea-salt; coffee remains the most popular with university students. Their “Feature Flavour” changes monthly. Pumpkin Spice, lemon poppy seed, avocado sea-salt and Earl Grey are some of the past creations.

Keep in Touch

cake, chocolate, birthday cake
Carolyne Su

If you happen to find yourself in Saskatoon, stop by the Saskatoon Farmer's Market yearround on Wednesday, Saturday, or Sunday to try some fresh raw chocolate samples. 

In the mean time, get your chcolate fix by following them on all major social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat. Personally, I love their snap chat account. Not only do they share the magical process of chocolate making, but it’s incredibly informative with plenty of healthy lifestyle tips that you can incorporate into your own life.