A Moscow Mule is a simple, tasty, and Insta-worthy cocktail. It fulfills all the requirements to be called a—dare I say—perfect alcoholic beverage, and its popularity is growing fast. But, it's important that all Moscow Mule drinkers and lovers know that the copper mug and vodka combo is far from good for you. Read on to have your love for Moscow Mules dwindle slowly.

What is a Moscow Mule?

For all of y'all who are still balling on that college budget and strictly order a vodka-cranberry at the bar, meet the Moscow Mule. It's a vodka drink that includes ginger beer, lime juice, ice, and the vodka of your choice. Pretty simple, right? You may even be thinking about turning this cocktail into your go-to. It tastes good and kind of makes you sound like a drink connoisseur (at least more than ordering a vod-cran). Think twice, though!

Here's the Catch 

A Moscow Mule is almost always served in a copper mug of sorts. It makes the drink Insta-worthy, and drink aficionados may even say it's the most crucial, recognizable aspect of the drink. It may be cute and trendy, but the reaction happening between the copper and vodka is not good for you. 

What "Reaction" is Happening?

syrup, maple syrup, beer, liquor, wine, whisky, alcohol
Christin Urso

Just when you thought it was bad enough for your body to be drinking alcohol in general, you mix your alcohol with a copper mug, just for the looks, and you have a poisonous concoction on your hands.  

Food and drug administration guidelines state that copper shouldn't come in contact with acidic foods below the pH level of 6. This includes vinegar, wine, fruit juices, and of course, a Moscow Mule cocktail, all of which are well below pH 6. 

When the copper comes in contact with something acidic, it has a high potential to leach into the liquid. Symptoms of copper poisoning can include abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, and jaundice. If you are currently experiencing any of these symptoms, contact your healthcare provider immediately. 

Now What?

lime, lemon, liquor, juice, alcohol, ice, cocktail
Keriss101

Taking Moscow Mules out of my go-to cocktail order list is not an option. That list is already small enough, it doesn't need to get smaller. The only option is to get used to drinking a Moscow Mule out of a... glass cup. It may not be as satisfying at first, but I promise drinking out of a glass cup is way better than having copper poisoning. 

Although I'm not adventurous and don't want to try new cocktails, maybe this is a sign to get out of my comfort zone. A Cosmopolitan, Mojito, Old Fashion, Dirty Martini, and Lemon Drop seem to be creeping up on me as a new go-to. They aren't served in copper mugs, so that's good, right?

Lastly, spread the word! Warn your fellow Moscow Mule-loving friends and family. The popularity of this drink is growing rapidly and the more often people indulge, the worse the symptoms and risks become. If you order a Moscow Mule at a bar and ask for it not in a copper mug, tell the bartender why. Spread awareness because although it's a silly thought that the cup is just for looks, it can have long lasting effects on your health.