Not long ago, there was controversy over the Barbie Doll displaying unrealistic proportions because Barbie, as a real person, would be anatomically impossible. The argument was that it set unrealistic expectations for female bodies, that it would skew how a little girl would perceive herself when looking in a mirror. The same can be said for celebrities touting waist trainers on Instagram. 

The idea behind using a waist trainer is that by wearing this corset-like contraption every day, you are able to restrict your core/hip/back area and "your body will "mold" itself into a slimmer figure."

So why is endorsing waist trainers such a huge deal? Because the risks of using a waist trainer are very real and very dangerous. According to one Atlanta physician, "It just crams all of your organs together. So over a long period of time, wearing it too much and too frequently, it can cause damage."

Another doctor stated, "The side effects or negative effects can be long term or permanent, but the benefit is not." Other less serious side effects of wearing waist trainers can include everything from interference with breathing to heartburn.

Some of the most popular celebrities who have publicly endorsed waist training are Kim Kardashian, Khloe Kardashian, Kylie Kardashian, Kourtney Kardashian, Blacc Chyna, Amber Rose, Farrah Abraham, and Jessica Alba. 

While some argue that celebrities are people too and shouldn't be held to a higher standard, others recognize their celebrity status as a pedestal of sorts. When you have millions of people (especially young girls) watching your every move, you need to be aware of the message you're sending. 

Unfortunately, this logic often applies to female celebrities and "body-shaming." Do I think the Kardashians should halt all waist trainer endorsements? Not necessarily. I just think it's important to be completely transparent about the repercussions of using a product, which can be impossible when you're literally getting paid to endorse said product

Have I, as a 24-year-old female, looked in a mirror and wished my proportions were even remotely similar to that of a Kardashian? Of course. Have I considered using a waist trainer as a quick fix to getting an hourglass-shaped body? Abso-f*cking-lutely.

But for every photo Khloe Kardashian has posted in a waist trainer, she's posted at least two others of her working out, and that's what's important to remember. Wearing a waist trainer or taking a diet pill will never be the be-all and end-all to the "perfect body"—it requires maintaining a healthy diet and establishing an active routine.

So you can either invest $60 in a waist trainer that may or may not give you the Barbie Doll physique of your dreams (probs not) with some serious potential side effects—or you can remind yourself you're already a total badass without one for free.