I have a confession. I cheated. Sometimes we find ourselves in situations when being vegan is just not a practical thing. You’ll have to forgive me and let me explain.

Breakfast: What do you do for a vegan hangover breakfast? Green juice seemed to do the trick. It was all I could stomach and it somehow eased my current state. I may or may not have had a taste of the cinnamon rolls I was making for a video for UPenn TV…but that’s just between us because this wasn’t the real cheat I was talking about. SHHH!

vegan

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Lunch: I was craving crunch so I made one of my go-to salads that is incredibly refreshing and crisp. Radishes, fennel, cucumber and endive are dressed with a bundle of herbs, (mint, parsley and cilantro to be exact) lemon and olive oil.

vegan

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Dinner: TACO NIGHT! Vegans can play tacos too, ya know. Roasted butternut squash and portabello tacos with guac, caramelized onions, sautéed spinach and black beans made me realize that plenty of Mexican food is actually vegan. We’ll put the carne asada on next week’s batch.

Day 5 went fine, but Day 6 went a little bit differently.

Breakfast: So we started off on a good foot. Breakfast was oatmeal with honey and cinnamon.

Lunch/Dinner: Here’s where we went awry but I swear I have a good excuse. I had the incredible opportunity to work in the kitchen of the restaurant Marc Forgione in NYC, and when the sous-chef is hand feeding you veal tortellini and truffle cheese, you’d cave too.

Conclusion: I’m a cheater and I’m sorry…actually I’m not, the cheese was really good.