This time of year (okay, most of the year) many Penn State students find themselves in a financial slump. This could make Valentine’s Day quite challenging when trying to impress your sweetheart.

Fortunately, Findlay Commons has got your back this Valentine’s Day. For years Findlay Commons has offered students a romantic affordable dinner for one to spend with his or her sugar-pie. Let’s get real: who doesn’t want to go the same dining hall they eat at on a daily basis for Valentine’s Day?

Okay, so it’s not exactly the ideal romantic gesture you were hoping for, but in all seriousness: we’re broke. And not everyone has access to a kitchen to do the homemade thing. So if you find yourself in this predicament, don’t get upset. Years from now, you two will look back and have a good long laugh… hopefully.

On the menu:

Appetizers

Untitled

Photo by Lauren Kaplan

Lobster bisque and tomato basil soup
Antipasta platter
Fresh mozzarella & assorted cheeses
Artichoke hearts
Roasted red peppers
Olives, capers & mushrooms
Ricotta lemon basil honey spread
Assorted artisan breads

Entrée

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Horseradish crusted prime rib
Herbed pork loin with brandy sauce
Lemon salmon with dill sauce
Tortellini with vodka sauce
Mashed redskin potatoes with sour cream and spinach
Roasted cauliflower Parmesan with pancetta
Fresh grilled asparagus

Dessert

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

White chocolate mousse cup
Chocolate covered strawberries
Sparkling grape juice

This event will take place in a decorated private dining room and is catered by the Commons’ chefs. Couples must reserve tables for the event because staff will be serving the meal (as opposed to students eating buffet style).

But beware, there are only two seatings: one at 5:30 pm and the other at 6:30 pm. Be sure to plan accordingly in that hour because nothing quite sets the mood like getting kicked out of dinner for taking too long to finish your meal.

Tip from yours truly: bring a purse and stash a couple chocolate covered strawberries in it for later.

An old saying goes, “the best things in life are free.” So don’t forget this Valentine’s Day, it’s the thought that counts.

For more Valentine’s Day ideas, check out: