Bananas are one of the greatest fruits. They are cheaper than most and are available for the majority of the year, making them a staple in food culture (or at least my food culture). In short, their versatility and magical powers are enough to make you crazy.

Here are some banana facts you need to know to make the most of this mighty fruit:

In Case of Emergency, Use Bananas 

banana

Photo by Zoe Zaiss

So you’re mid-baking and you realize you don’t have eggs or butter. This is where your first banana hack comes into play.

First off, make sure that the banana is ripe; you don’t want it all beat up and bruised, but it shouldn’t be anywhere near green. All you have to do is substitute 1 cup of butter for 1 banana or 1 egg for 1 banana. That’s it.

This works best with cookies or brownies in particular. You can also pat yourself on the back for making your favorite treats just a bit healthier.

Just have a banana? No worries you can still make a kickass desert like this banana ice cream

Amaze With Unique Desserts

banana

Photo courtesy of onemorepint.com 

Grilling season is upon us and you’ve got your classics ready to go. But you should also consider grilling a dessert that’ll take your BBQ to a whole new level. We’re talkin’ about banana s’mores. No, this is not a drill.

Take your banana and peel off the excess. Slice it long ways so you can see into its soul. Make sure your grill is cleaned off of any excess char and be sure to spray it so you don’t lose any of the deliciousness to the flames. Place the nanner on the grill with the curved side facing up.

Keep it there until you see grill marks, flip and do the same to the other side. Next plate the grilled nanner. Top with the dynamic duo of chocolate squares and mini marshmallows. Huzzah.

You Don’t Have to Eat it to Reap its Benefits

banana

Photo by Abigail Wang

While bananas are great for eating, they also have other benefits as well. Specifically the peel has tons of nutrients and minerals that work wonders on acne. Rub the inside of the peel against your face (don’t wash it after) and continue to use it daily. You should see some improvements. 

Speaking of the peel, if you still have the little grinds when you bite into your nanner, you’re doing it wrong. Always peel from the bottom so the strings are out of your way. (Thanks Bustle.)

Bananas are Potent

banana

Photo by Izzi Clark

While the fruit isn’t actually potent to humans, it does intoxicate the likes of mosquitoes and acts as a fruity pheromone. Unless you are looking to attract mosquitos, make a mental note to never pack a banana on a picnic ever again. I don’t know if this banana has the same effects?