Throughout my three years on the Indiana University campus, I can tell you that I ate a lot of good food. Though I’m ready to move on with my life and enter the real world (whatever that means) — I’m studying abroad in the fall and graduating early right when I get back in December — there will always be a special place in my heart for Bloomington.

Not only does B-town have some of the coolest people I’ve ever met, but it also has amazing restaurants around every corner. So, without further ado, let’s break down every place you must visit as an Indiana Hoosier. Next time you’re adventuring around IU and need to know exactly where to go, whip out this handy guide and get to it.

1. When you need a midnight snack: Baked! of Bloomington

Indiana University

Photo courtesy of @spoon_iu on Instagram

One of the most crucial experiences to have as a freshman at IU is ordering a fresh batch of cookies from Baked! past midnight. There’s nothing better than opening a hot box of cookies and washing them down with a cold carton of milk, especially after a night out in B-town. They also deliver to any of the dorms on campus, but be sure to call far in advance since they take a while to arrive.

What to order: You can go crazy with as many fixins as you want, but I recommend keeping it simple with a classic combo — you can’t go wrong choosing chocolate dough with Reese’s Pieces or sugar dough with Oreos. Don’t forget about the sludge bars (made from all of the leftover dough from that day mixed together) if you’re feeling adventurous.

Location: 313 E 3rd St, Bloomington, IN 47401 (8 minute walk from the Sample Gates)

2. When you’re sick of Starbucks: Soma

Indiana University

Photo by Claire Waggoner

Whether you go to the main location on Kirkwood or the one in Jordan Square right across from the Jacobs School of Music, Soma is undoubtedly a staple around IU. When you’re not grabbing coffee to go while rushing to class, it’s a great place to catch up with friends, go on that highly anticipated first date, or prepare for exams.

The Laughing Planet Cafe is right above the Kirkwood location, too, if you need some nourishment during your study break.

What to order: Of course, their standard fair trade roasts will always give you the energy boost you need. If you’re into sweet stuff like I am, go for any of the specialty espresso drinks — don’t leave off the whipped cream — such as the Oahu (white chocolate and macadamia nut) or the Lewinsky (caramel, coconut, and vanilla). If you’re not a fan of coffee, their smoothies are super fresh and made with juice pressed in house.

Locations: 322 E Kirkwood Ave, Bloomington, IN 47408 (5 minute walk from the Sample Gates) and 1400 E 3rd St, Bloomington, IN 47401 (7 minute walk from Forest Quad)

3. When you’re craving Turkish food: Anatolia

Indiana University

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

Everybody in Bloomington knows that 4th Street is the place to go for all kinds of international cuisines. There’s a reason why Anatolia was voted Best Ethnic Restaurant by the Indiana Daily Student and is officially approved by Spoon.

Not only does it have a huge lunch buffet for less than $10, but it is also a solid option for vegetarians. You can’t beat complimentary hot tea and red lentil soup with your meal, either. Be sure to snag one of the tables with cushions in the back room.

What to order: Feel free to go for a reliable standard, like shish kebabs, or change it up by trying a pide (essentially an oblong pizza consisting of cheese and your toppings of choice baked in their award-winning bread), which is my favorite thing on the menu for sure. They’re so good that I decided to leave the one time they ran out — I’m not exaggerating.

Location: 405 E 4th St, Bloomington, IN 47408 (5 minute walk from the Sample Gates)

4. When you want to stuff your face: Bub’s Burgers & Ice Cream

Indiana University

Photo courtesy of @merross24 on Instagram

With the “Big Ugly” burger weighing in at one pound post-cooking, Bub’s is definitely not going to leave you hungry. Even though there are a lot of good burgers around Bloomington, the endless options at Bub’s put them above the rest. Plus, their hand-spun milkshakes are the cherry on top.

What to order: Unless you want your picture on the wall for conquering the “Big Ugly,” go for the “Settle for Less Ugly” quarter pound burger — I prefer elk over beef — so you have room for a basket of sweet potato waffle fries (marshmallow dipping sauce optional). If you’re feeling something lighter, they offer grilled chicken, mahi mahi, and portobello mushroom sandwiches that definitely rival their meatier counterparts.

Even if you think you’re totally full, get a milkshake or malt anyways. They even give you the extra in an old-school tin.

Location: 480 N Morton St, Bloomington, IN 47404 (6 minute drive from Wright Quad)

5. When you’re trying to be fancy: Feast

Indiana University

Photo courtesy of @bloomingfoodies on Instagram

Feast is one of those places where you know you shouldn’t spend that much money, but you do regardless. Find a special occasion to celebrate, gather some friends together, and check it out. If you can’t bring yourself to pay for dinner there, try their lunch or Sunday brunch instead — or just hit up their booth at the Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market.

What to order: Start with their bacon-wrapped, chorizo-stuffed dates, then try their famous tamales for your entree. Go into full splurge mode and order dessert, too — you will not regret getting their Vermont chew or one of their European delicacies (macarons or tiramisu, anyone?).

Location: 581 E Hillside Dr, Bloomington, IN 47401 (7 minute drive from Wright Quad)

6. When you’re craving Japanese food: Ami

Indiana University

Photo by Anna Arteaga

With 30% off special rolls every Tuesday, Ami’s got sushi covered. Plus, most items on the menu (special rolls included) come with complimentary miso soup and salad with ginger dressing. Not a fan of raw fish? They also feature Korean specialties — like dolsot bibimbap — in addition to their Japanese kitchen entrees and dinner combinations.

What to order: With so many awesome rolls to choose from, it always takes a while to pick something. I’d recommend going for one of their specialty rolls (such as the Ultimate Shrimp, the Lion King, or the Mountain). If you want more bang for your buck, try a bit of everything with a bento box.

Location: 1500 E 3rd St, Bloomington, IN 47401 (8 minute walk from Forest Quad)

7. When your parents are visiting and footing the bill: Uptown Cafe

Indiana University

Photo courtesy of @peaceprevails94 on Instagram

Whether you’re looking for a snazzy brunch or steak dinner, Uptown Cafe is the place to be when the ‘rents are in town. With Cajun-Creole dishes and their signature cocktail menu, it’s sure to impress. If nothing on the dessert menu tickles your fancy, BLU Boy Chocolate is only a few doors down.

What to order: If you want to go the traditional route, they’re known for their Louisiana hot pepper chicken and Cajun meatloaf. The Uptown mac ‘n’ cheese is legendary, so don’t hesitate to get that as your side. For a less spicy option, the gorgonzola filet is flawlessly prepared and hands down one of the best steaks I’ve ever had.

Location: 102 E Kirkwood Ave, Bloomington, IN 47408 (8 minute walk from the Sample Gates)

8. When you’re doin’ it for the Insta: The Big Cheeze

Indiana University

Photo courtesy of @maddiedworkin on Instagram

Taking a stroll down Kirkwood, you can’t miss this food truck slinging grilled cheeses to hungry Hoosiers at any given hour of the day. Whether you want to grab a sandwich for lunch, or you’re just in the mood for something cheesy after leaving the bar, the Big Cheeze does not disappoint.

What to order: Though you may be tempted to try one of their outrageous flavor combos — like the Momma Smacker (smoked gouda, BBQ pulled pork, and caramelized onions) or the C.B.R. (cheddar, chicken, bacon, and ranch) — everyone will tell you that you must get the Mac Daddy, which is stuffed with mac ‘n’ cheese and even more cheddar. After all, if you’re gonna get a grilled cheese, you may as well go all out.

Locations: Check their schedule to see when they’ll be on Kirkwood (1 minute walk from the Sample Gates), or visit them on Food Truck Friday at 401 S Walnut St, Bloomington, IN 47401 (9 minute drive from Wright Quad)

9. When you need something sweet: Hartzell’s Ice Cream

Indiana University

Some people might try to tell you that the Chocolate Moose is the best ice cream place in B-town, but don’t believe them. With countless unique flavors and the most addictive spinners (like Blizzards, but better) you’ll ever have, Hartzell’s takes the cake. They even make their own waffle cones every day, so be sure to pop in there before they run out.

What to order: If you want something dependable and nostalgic, try their malted vanilla or mint chocolate chip. For something different, try cherry wasabi, chocolate sweet basil, Thunder Dan’s Mud Pie (cappuccino and crushed Oreos), or the MAC (marshmallow, avocado, and coconut) — the list goes on and on.

The Garden of Good and Evil (honey, lavender, and local vodka from Cardinal Spirits) was even named the weirdest ice cream flavor in Indiana. In the fall, get your hands on one of their pumpkin pie spinners, made with soft-serve vanilla and a whole slice of pumpkin pie.

Location: 107 N Dunn St, Bloomington, IN 47408 (3 minute walk from the Sample Gates)

10. When you turn 21: Kilroy’s on Kirkwood

Indiana University

Photo by Jordan Shea

Ah, the notorious Kilroy’s. For all of the freshmen out there who see KOK shirts everywhere when you first arrive on campus, don’t worry — it’s not some super exclusive coed fraternity or cult. It’s just one of the most iconic spots at IU that happened to be ranked #18 on the 50 Best College Bars list for 2015.

As many of you know, I didn’t have the wildest 21st birthday out there (and have never actually set foot inside Kilroy’s), but I always appreciate some good people watching, and taking a stroll down Kirkwood is the place to do it.

What to order: Be sure to stop in on $2 Tuesdays for $2 liquor, beer, Long Islands, and cheeseburgers. Brave the long line for Breakfast Club — an IU bucket list feat — before a home game to start your tailgating early with breakfast, booze, and free t-shirts. If you just want a snack, try their famous pepperoni-stuffed breadsticks.

Location: 502 E Kirkwood Ave, Bloomington, IN 47408 (2 minute walk from the Sample Gates)

11. When you want the perfect brunch: The Runcible Spoon

Indiana University

Photo by Grace Hwang

How could you not love a place named after a poem by Edward Lear? Okay, maybe that’s just the English major in me talking, but the Runcible Spoon has food that will satisfy anyone. In addition to serving up the best brunch in Bloomington and offering breakfast all day long, they also have a variety of lunch and dinner options.

With its cozy atmosphere (and bookshelves at every turn), the Runcible Spoon is constantly packed for a reason.

What to order: Go for the early morning special (two eggs, wheat toast, and choice of sausage, bacon, or home fries) Monday – Thursday from 8 am until 11:30 am, or the weekend special (two eggs, wheat toast, choice of pancake or French toast, and choice of sausage, bacon, or home fries) Friday-Sunday from 8 am until 3 pm.

Their pancakes are bomb, so don’t leave without ordering one. If you’re not in the mood for breakfast — though I’ll never understand that concept — try the Black Russian sandwich or the Gypsy chicken.

Location: 412 E 6th St, Bloomington, IN 47408 (4 minute walk from the Sample Gates)

12. When you’re craving a slice: Mother Bear’s

Indiana University

Photo by Claire Waggoner

Of the numerous pizza joints around Bloomington (and just in general) nothing comes close to Mother Bear’s; even a Chicagoan will admit that. Its bustling environment and long list of incredible specials make it one of IU’s household names. If you’re inclined to get your pizza fill after a game, you will inevitably be met with a long wait, but you better believe it’s worth every minute.

What to order: Get there in time for the early bird special and upgrade your free breadsticks or cheese bread to pesto cheese bread — you won’t regret it. Start with a house salad, simply because putting Goldfish on a salad is enough of a reason to order one.

Any of their gourmet pizzas never disappoint, but the Treasure of Monte Cristo (parmesan-garlic white sauce, mozzarella, spinach, bacon, tomatoes, and fontina) always hits the spot.

Location: 1428 E 3rd St, Bloomington, IN 47401 (8 minute walk from Forest Quad)

13. When you or your friends don’t eat meat: The Owlery

Indiana University

Photo by Anna Arteaga

As many of you may know, contrary to popular belief, I am definitely not a vegetarian. However, one of my go-to spots on the Square in B-town is the Owlery. I was a bit skeptical at first since the entire menu is meatless, but I finally gave it a chance with one of my best friends (who is, in fact, a veggie), and it instantly changed my mind.

By putting vegetarian and vegan twists on comfort food, the Owlery has the power to win over even the most ravenous carnivore.

What to order: Split the poutine or coconut macadamia tofu as an appetizer. For your entree, try the chicken dinner (made with tofu) or the southern plate (featuring BBQ seitan). The BLT (tofu bacon, in this case) and tempeh Rueben are fan favorites in the sandwich category.

If you can’t bring yourself to try meat substitutes, go for the peanut veggie bowl or a classic grilled cheese. Finish up your meal with one of their homemade vegan cupcakes.

Location: 118 W 6th St, Bloomington, IN 47404 (7 minute drive from Wright Quad)

14. When you’re rushing to class and need breakfast ASAP: Bloomington Bagel Company

Indiana University

Photo courtesy of @bdearinger on Instagram

On a freezing cold Indiana morning (what I had to deal with pretty much every single day my freshman year), nothing tastes better than a warm breakfast sandwich or a toasty bagel oozing with your favorite schmear. With so many homemade bagels, spreads, and baked goods to choose from, BBC can hook you up with a filling breakfast for around $5.

Shoutout to that guy in my folklore seminar who brought a bagel with lox to class one morning — I will never forget that smell.

What to order: You can’t go wrong with an egg and cheese bagel accompanied by a bottle of orange juice. If you want to try something new, give one of their bialys (stuffed and flattened bagels) a shot. There are endless combinations of bagels and schmears — honey wheat with brown sugar cinnamon swirl is my personal favorite — so feel free to experiment until you find one that you can’t get through your morning without.

Locations: 425 E Kirkwood Ave, Bloomington, IN 47408 (3 minute walk from the Sample Gates), 238 N Morton St, Bloomington, IN 47404 (8 minute drive from Wright Quad), and 913 S College Mall Rd, Bloomington, IN 47401 (5 minute drive from Forest Quad)

15. When you’re trying to watch the game: Nick’s English Hut

Indiana University

Undeniably the most school-spirited bar in B-town, Nick’s was my first dining destination when I came to visit IU during high school. Though they do have solid pub food, they’re mainly known for their popular drinking game, Sink the Biz. Let’s just say that the Hoosier basketball fans know how to turn up after a victory, particularly at Nick’s. Poor Kentucky never had a chance.

What to order: To go along with the drinking theme, start with a bucket of Sink the Biz fries — they’re generously seasoned and served with an awesome garlic dipping sauce. For more substantial grub, order a burger (made with beef from Fischer Farms) or a hefty stromboli. Avoid missing out on their food and drink specials by keeping up with their daily offerings.

Location: 423 E Kirkwood Ave, Bloomington, IN 47408 (3 minute walk from the Sample Gates)