If you are a fan of watery, lifeless beer, this is not the article for you. However, if you have a deep appreciation for the rich and hearty flavors of craft beer but would love to learn more, then you may want to set aside some time on UGA’s reading day to head to the Ciné.

University of Georgia student Cameron Johnson has set his sights on the topic of craft beer; specifically, laws regulating the distribution of independently-made beer in the state of Georgia. His film entitled Beeraucracy: One Nation Under Hops premiers on April 28 and hopes to shed some light on this often overlooked business.

Luckily for you, Spoon UGA had the chance to meet up with Cameron and get some more info on this project.

Spoon University: How do you feel the state of Georgia can benefit from more relaxed craft beer laws?

Cameron Johnson: If you look at a city like Asheville (NC), beer tourism has just transformed the city. When we visited there for the film, they were telling us that the street with all of the craft breweries used to be a Red Light District. Once the breweries started coming, tourism came. It totally made the entire area better. It would help Georgia ten-fold.

craft beer

Photo courtesy of Cameron Johnson

SU: Why do you think these laws exist in the first place?

CJ: There’s a lot of money on the distribution side of things. I don’t think [big breweries] want to give control to the independent breweries. They think that if they gain control, they will lose money.

SU: Do you think the film will work to change people’s minds about craft beer?

CJ: I want people in the state to be aware that Georgia is missing out on a huge economic opportunity. Georgia could be a leading producer of craft beer.

craft beer

Photo by Laura Pendleton

SU: What is your favorite beer?

CJ: It kind of changes with the day, but I did have King Hunahpuh when I visited Cigar City in Tampa, Florida. It’s regarded as the best Imperial Stout in the entire United States. It’s only released one day of the year.

As you can see, the legalities behind craft brewing in the state of Georgia remain highly limited. If you can afford to take a few hours out of your procrastination rigorous studying regiment to learn about these laws, you should head down to the Ciné to be one of the first people to see Cameron’s film. If it lives up to the hype (which we’re positive it will), you’ll leave the theater a different person entirely: a person who understands the intricate and immense taste sensation of craft beer.

Before you leave, check out some of these inspiring foodie reads.