New Orleans is all about supporting local. It’s no surprise, then, that the locally brewed craft beer scene is becoming more and more popular in the Crescent City.

Next time you’re at the bar, skip the Bud Light and opt for one of these Louisiana alternatives. Your knowledge of local New Orleans brews will be sure to impress your friends, and whichever you choose will be sure to impress your palate.

Abita Amber

craft beer

Photo courtesy of TampaFoodDude.com

This one’s a name that any New Orleans native or tourist will recognize. Abita Springs, located across the lake from New Orleans, is a popular spot for visitors. Amber, Abita’s flagship beer, has been compared to “a Munich-style lager” and can be found at practically any bar in NOLA. Order an Abita Amber if you don’t want a taste that’s too distinct or bitter.

NOLA Blonde

craft beer

Photo courtesy of Huffington Post

If you’ve stopped by more than a couple bars around town and/or visited the very popular NOLA Brewing, you’ve heard of NOLA Blonde. It’s the local brewery’s most popular ale with a golden hue, and essentially tastes like your traditional ale with a slight New Orleans kick to it. Order it at Free Fridays at NOLA Brewing or at most any bar in the city.

Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager

craft beer

Photo courtesy of TellMeAboutYourDay.com

When the bar signs come out announcing Abita Strawberry’s return, grab your buddies and a pitcher, because it’s officially springtime. Made from juicy Ponchatoula strawberries, Abita Strawberry is a crisp lager with a strawberry sweetness. It’s only available during strawberry season, so drink up while you can.

Crescent City Weiss Beer

craft beer

Photo courtesy of Tumblr

A beer crafted specially by the Crescent City Brewhouse, the Weiss Beer is a wheat beer with banana and clove flavors, and a kick of spice. It’s not for every palate, but if you’re feeling adventurous at the Brewhouse, go for the Weiss instead of the famous Crescent City Pilsner, which is more likable to a typical domestic.

Hopitoulas

craft beer

Photo courtesy of TheAleRunner.com

The Hopitoulas is one of NOLA Brewing’s finest: the brewery describes it as a “West Coast style India Pale Ale.” The flavor combines tastes of citrus with pine, and takes almost two months to make since it combines so many malts together. It’s a popular pick at the NOLA Brewery and available year-round.

For more posts about beer, check these out: