When my friends and I eat together, we’ve often had a conversation that goes along the lines of, “Man, this meal is an embarrassing mess. Thank goodness I don’t have to do this in front of a cute date.” But it’s always much more fun on the other side of the table–watching someone you find attractive struggling through a meal that requires level 10 coordination. Well here you have it: the most awkward dishes to test your first date’s ability to handle a tricky meal.

first date

Photo by Maggie Gorman

Spaghetti
Families and various cultures eat spaghetti differently, so watch out if you were brought up with the “wrong” etiquette. After asking some of my Italian friends, I verified that the correct way to eat spaghetti (thankfully the way I learned) is twirling it around a fork. Not cutting it into pieces, or using a spoon to aid. You’ll be able to learn more about your date by seeing how they struggle their way through a bowl of spaghetti. Perhaps order the penne or something easy for yourself and save the trouble.

first date

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

Sushi
There are two things that stand out when going out for sushi. The first is what your date orders. Is it just a cucumber or vegetable-only roll? Or do they skip the rolls entirely and just getting miso, salad and fried rice? If this describes your date, then maybe start questioning why they would suggest or agree to go to a Japanese restaurant. I have nothing against people that dislike raw fish, just have some backbone and don’t go! The second is the ability or lack of ability to use chopsticks. This is just entertaining to watch if they’re clumsy or clueless (cue cute giggles and helping them out).

first date

Photo by Rafi Letzter

Ribs
Nothing says messy more than BBQ, especially ribs covered in thick sauce. You have to get completely barbaric when eating ribs; there is no way to get around the fact you are munching on meat while holding the bones with your hands. If you want to see the true caveman/cavewoman qualities in your date, look no further.

first date

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

Fish or chicken on the bone
A date ordering a full fish or half chicken (or duck or quail for that matter) can lead to two outcomes: either they expertly work around the bones, getting all the meat while remaining civil, or they toss around their meal confused and full of regret. Hopefully they know what they’re doing.

first date

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

Shellfish
Lobsters, crawfish, crab and shrimp still in the shell can be hilarious to eat in front of someone. If both of you order it, the level of embarrassment will go down significantly since you both will be trying to look cute while prying apart a shellfish. Extra points if you wear a lobster bib.

For those seeking out more tame first dates: