Ah yes, Burlington Ontario: The best medium size city in Canada and the place that Ryan Gosling is from. 

It's not Toronto or Ottawa or Niagara Falls. So unfortunately, unless you're from Burlington, you probably don't see it as the unique food destination that it is. Lucky for you, I spend most of my days taking Insta pics of the downtown pier, sweat Lake Ontario water, and am a true Burlingtonian. I also know quite a bit about desserts. 

Let this article act as your travel guide to identify the hidden gem dessert places of Burlington Ontario, in no particular order. 

1. Foundry Ice Cream

The peeps at this small batch company use fresh seasonal ingredients to make their premium ice cream and sorbet scoops. Though they are based in Hamilton ON, Foundry Ice Cream is present at Burlington's Centro Farmer's Market every Sunday of summer. 

What to get: Raspberry Rhubarb Ice Cream

2. Kelly's Bake Shoppe

According to Buzzfeed, Kelly's makes the third best cupcakes in the world, making them a must-see if you're ever in the area. All of their products are gluten-free and vegan but that doesn't limit the flavours at all. Plus, the aesthetics of the place make it incredibly Insta-worthy. 

What to get: Chocolate Coconut Cupcake, The Mile High Brownie, & Swirl Soft Serve Ice Cream

3. Crema Di Gelato

I have never been to Italy, but I imagine this is what it tastes like. Known locally as "The Gelato Place," Crema Di Gelato always has an overwhelming rotating selection of flavours and a line out the door in the summer. 

What to get: Chocolate Gelato + literally any other flavour because chocolate goes with everything

4. Mollycake

Mollycake is the go-to place in downtown Burlington for custom desserts. They do Cake Boss level wedding cakes and towers of French macarons. Everything is baked on site with real ingredients and a whole lotta' sweetness. 

What to get: The Cookie, Raspberry Macarons, & Pie (Only on Friday Pie-days)

5.  The Sunshine Doughnut Company

This photo may be slightly deceiving, but The Sunshine Doughnut Company's Doughnuts are huge. They have way more height and fluff that your standard Timmies ones. Plus their bright colours are seriously on trend for good food pics. 

What to get: If you're going for the foodgram, get the Sprinkles Doughnut. If you're going for the flavours, get the Blueberry Basil Doughnut. 

The next time you find yourself driving along Lake Ontario or stuck somewhere around Hamilton or Oakville, consider dropping into Burlington for a sweet bite.

Just please don't confuse it with Burlington, Vermont.