This past Saturday (November 9, 2015), the Asian Cultural Awareness Club hosted Skidmore’s fourth annual Cultural Night Market. ACA and other cultural clubs (Hayat, Christian Fellowship, Chinese Culture Club, UJIMA, and NihinGO!) participated as well, and helped make it a great event for the Skidmore and Saratoga Community to get together and enjoy traditional foods, mind-blowing performances, and beautiful crafts. All of this was done in effort to raise money for schools and education in Nepal. 

Because there was just so much great entertainment packed into only three hours, we thought we would list just a few of the things you may have missed:

1. Ujima’s Step Performance

Cultural Night Market

Photo by Maria Glander

The African/African-American/Caribbean-American club’s step team showed confidence and strength in their wonderfully choreographed and synchronized step routine. Ravin Townsend, PR for Ujima describes their step team like an open family and anyone “can join anytime”.

2. NihonGO!’s Yakisoba  

Cultural Night Market

Photo by Maria Glander

NihonGO!, Skidmore’s Japanese Language and Culture club cooked and sold a vegetarian version of yakisoba. According to Alex Salerno, co-president of the club, yakisoba food stalls are common at Japanese festivals, so it was only fitting that NihonGo! chose this dish to be sold at Cultural Night Market.

3. ACA’s Thai Iced Tea

Cultural Night Market

Courtesy of giphy.com

The Asian Cultural Awareness club prepared several types of delicious food, including dumplings and Korean pancakes. They also served Thai iced tea with boba, which was a great way to make the night seem as if people were “traveling to new places around the world”, a goal that E-board member Dikyi Wangmo hoped to achieve.

4. Hayat’s Jewelry Sale 

Cultural Night Market

Photo by Maria Glander

The club (which focuses on countries associated with Islamic religions) sold South Asian jewelry, and also offered henna, a temporary tattoo ritual integral to the region.