Tiramisu has become a staple Italian dessert across the country, but have you ever stopped to think about where the boozy, creamy dessert originates from? Google can't quickly answer this one, so don't even try it.

After a lot of research, I am still not sure where this dessert truly originated. It boils down to two restaurants in Treviso, Italy competing for the title.

1. Le Beccherie 

Credit is most often given to Le Beccherie. As the story goes, one of the owners wanted a "pick me up" after the birth of her son. And the dessert made for her was similar to the tiramisu we know today—creamy and spiked with coffee.   

Upon the owner's return to the restaurant, she worked with the pastry chef and invented a creamy, layered dessert that would become known as tiramisu. 

2. Piedigrotta

coffee, pastry, sweet, pie, mousse, cream, cake, chocolate, tiramisu
Tori Baier

Although credit is most often given to Le Beccherie, the owner of Piedigrotta in Treviso claims otherwise. In an interview with The Washington Post, he credits himself for inventing the dessert. He "based [it] on the everyday flavors of the region: strong coffee, creamy mascarpone, eggs, Marsala and lady fingers." 

The Dispute  

Although he has no invoices to prove it, the owner of Piedigrotta states his late brother sold the dessert to Le Beccherie and then Le Beccherie passed it off as their own. 

According to the Washington Post, the owners of Le Beccherie "stipulate, their recipe never contained Marsala."

Today, the variations most often consumed are closer to the original recipe from Piedigrotta, often including alcohol. 

Does the popular use of alcohol in tiramisu mean Piedegrotta was the true birthplace and inspiration for the beloved dessert we eat today? Perhaps. But with both restaurants trying to pass the dessert off as their own, you can't be too sure.

So for now, all we have left to do is eat our confusion away and thank someone in Treviso for the traditional Italian dessert we love so well.