Most Americans reach for their first cup of coffee before doing anything else in the morning. Popular instant and packed coffee brands, like Folgers and Maxwell House, are staples in many  households. Unfortunately, it's these brands that are about to take a hit. So, it's time to stock up, because prices are on the rise, and we're not happy about it. 

Why Is It Happening?

Stock up now, or get ready to splurge soon. Due to a drought in Brazil, the supply of Robusta coffee beans has majorly decreased. Robusta beans are used for most instant, packaged, and espresso coffees, so many of our favorite brands of Joe will be taking a major hit. 

What Brands Will Be Affected?

Along with the drought in Brazil, there has been too much rain in Vietnam, and a smaller harvest in Indonesia. Rabobank analyst, Carlos Mera told the Financial Times, "Prospects for a recovery in Brazil's production in 2017 are slim." Dunkin' Donuts, Folgers, and Café Bustelo are three popular brands owned by the J.M. Smucker Company.

Today, the Smucker company is the leading manufacturer of consumer food and beverages in the United States. The company said in a press release, that prices will increase by six percent. 

cream, mocha, milk, espresso, cappuccino, coffee
Alex Frank

For everyone who hits up their local Dunkin' Donuts every morning, fear not. The prices will increase in packages on shelves, rather than at coffee shops. So, if you are an avid coffee drinker who enjoys a nice home brewed cup, try checking out your closest Dunks. 

On your next trip to the grocery store, make sure to buy a couple extra bags of your favorite coffee, because the value will never be the same.  If you're open to new forms of caffeine, consider, switching to tea, or investigate further to see what else can wake you up in the morning.