What’s your favorite position? Do you have a special routine beforehand? Where do you do it best?

You know exactly what I’m talking about: sleep. The most treasured part of everyone’s day is often the most difficult to come by. Have you ever spent hours sitting in your bed waiting to reach that beautiful slumber? Well you’re not alone.

Nearly 48% of all Americans claim to experience insomnia symptoms each year. Suggestions for a better night sleep include removing computers before bed, meditating, and even trying yoga positions. However, if you’re like me, either your patience is too low for these hacks or they simply are not very effective.

sleep

Here is the fix to your snoozing problems: magnesium. Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxer that works to calm neural impulses. The problem lies in the fact that 70 to 80% of all Americans have a magnesium deficiency. This super supplement keeps blood flowing freely, your heart rhythm steady, and supports a healthy immune system. In fact, in an interview with OK Magazine Salma Hayek says that she has “this magnesium drink at night before bed. It puts [her] right to sleep.”

Millions of people have experienced the miraculous benefits of magnesium, so what are you waiting for? My personal recommendation is Natural Vitality’s Raspberry-Lemon flavor magnesium supplement. I love how this drink mimics the texture of seltzer while hitting your sweet tooth right before bed. In other words, it’s a perfect win-win situation.

However, if a fizzy drink or the chalky vitamins are not up your alley, try eating more of these three delicious foods:

Avocado

sleep

Photo by Libby Perold

Avocado is basically the food of the gods, providing about 15% of your daily magnesium intake.

Bananas

sleep

Photo by Abigail Wang

You know what they say: eating a banana a day will keep those late nights in bed away. One banana is about 10% of your recommended daily magnesium intake.

Dark Chocolate

sleep

Photo by Allie Bienenstock

Last, but not least, you have a great excuse to eat chocolate. Eating one square (30 grams) of dark chocolate provides a whopping 24% of your daily magnesium intake.

Now you know the secret. It’s time to start snacking and stop tossing and turning in bed at night.