I’d like to start this off by saying this is not a tirade against modern medicine. I’m as big a Midol fan as the next gal, but whether you had 7 too many tequila shots last night, caught a stomach bug from your gross roommate, or have some excruciating cramps, chances are there’s a drink that can help you with your ailment.

Some of these methods might be old wives tales, some might be supported by science, but they’re all worth a try. Drink up!

drink

If you’re nauseous…

Water.

drink

Photo courtesy of favim.com

It sounds so simple, but it’s really effective. Vomiting dehydrates your body, so it’s really important to replenish your fluids, and water is the healthiest, best way to do so.

Sports Drinks

drink

Image courtesy of quickmeme.com

No, they’re not as healthy as you think they are, but in this case they’re definitely the move. Make sure they’re supplemented with electrolytes and they’ll replenish your body’s much needed sodium and potassium.

Peppermint or Chamomile Tea

drink

Photo courtesy of teamajesty.com

You can either make your own tea or use a store bought bag, add some honey, and not only will you be cozy AF, but your stomach will chill out. The volatile oils in both plants have been used for ages to help with various issues. For more info about tea, read this article.

Ginger Tea or Ginger Ale

drink

Photo courtesy of ecellulitis.com

Similar to peppermint and chamomile, ginger has numerous healing properties. Drinking it as tea or soda can help with nausea, among other issues. There’s a bunch of recipes, but it can be as easy as grating ginger root into boiling water.

Rice Water

drink

Photo courtesy of onegoodthingbyjillee.com

Add 1/2 a cup of rice (jasmine, sushi, doesn’t matter) to a bowl, cover it with water, and let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes. Rice water will act as a demulcent, meaning a substance that relieves inflammation by forming a sort of soothing barrier over a membrane, which in this case is the lining of your stomach. #Science.

If you have cramps…

Aloe Vera Juice

drink

Photo by Elise Takahama

Not like the aloe you use on a sunburn, but the juice you can buy in stores. Drink it with honey and it’s actually really good. It has a ton of other benefits too. It has a painkilling properties and helps to regulate blood flow.

Ginger Water

drink

Photo courtesy of vanityrich.com

Damn, ginger, back at it again. No but really, ginger water can help with cramps too.

Pineapple or Carrot Juice

drink

Photo by Daisy Dolan

If it’s your favorite time of the month, this one’s for you. Pineapple juice has a ton of bromelain, which effectively reduces cramping and pain caused by your period. Carrot juice can also help relax your muscles.

#SpoonTip: Avoid alcohol and soda. Neither of them are easily digested, so they can both worsen your cramps.

If you have indigestion…

Cinnamon Tea

drink

Photo courtesy of urbanwired.com

Again, store bought tea is effective, or you could make your own by boiling water with powdered cinnamon. Cinnamon is a carminative, which means it helps break up gas in your stomach. It can be used for like 20 other things too.

Warm Lemon Water

drink

Photo courtesy of healthyfoodhouse.com

Yeah, just some warm water with lemon. The acidity from the lemon helps your body produce more hydrochloric acid, which breaks down your food, thus moving the whole process along more quickly. You’ll also be more hydrated, which never hurts.

Apple Cider Vinegar

drink

Photo courtesy of authoritynutrition.com

I personally like the taste, but I’m also weird. If you can’t tolerate a tablespoon of it, mix in some water or even honey. Your stomach is naturally acidic – so instead of treating stomach aches with an antacid – you should really be consuming more acid to address the imbalance. (This also explains why lemon water helps). The acids in the vinegar can help to decrease starch digestion, allowing it to get to your intestine.

drink

Do as Kris Jenner, take a long drink, and feel better, friends!