Healthy eating is the ultimate goal, but it's easy to be put off by the effort and money it seems to require. Nutritionists agree that we should limit highly refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, so you should join the paleo bread craze.

Yet many healthier bread recipes, whether gluten free or paleo, require rather rogue and expensive ingredients like tapioca flour. While places like Amazon and Whole Foods have made purchasing them easier, most college students don't have the time or money. 

This paleo bread recipe, with only five ingredients, replaces commonly used nut flour with the cheaper and more readily available nut butter. Its the perfect inexpensive and easy alternative to the typical college student's Wonder Classic White. 

Enjoy it sliced with your favourite deli meats or with almond butter and chia jam for a healthier take on a pb&j!

Nut Butter Bread

• 1 cup nut butter: macadamia and cashew work well but see below for variations
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
beer, tea, coffee
Emily Fluet

Blend/food process all ingredients together until smooth.

Emily Fluet

Bake in a lined loaf tin at 375° Fahrenheit (190 Celsius) for forty minutes. Let cool before removing from tin.

cake
    Emily Fluet

Variations

From this basic recipe, you can create endless variations. You can even bake it in ramekins instead of a loaf tin to make paleo scones. Here are a few of my personal favourites for inspiration.

chocolate, toast, french toast, bacon
Emily Fluet

1. Olive Bread 

Upgrade your turkey sandwiches by replacing your regular multigrain with this. Simply add 1/2 cup olives and spices of choice. I would recommend garlic, rosemary, and basil. 

2. "Nutella" Bread

Next time you find yourself reaching for a spoon to get your late night fix of Nutella, whip this up instead! Use hazelnut butter and add 1.5 tablespoons maple syrup and 1/4 cup cocoa powder. 

3. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bread

sandwich, toast, chocolate
Emily Fluet

For something that tastes like a Reese's in pastry form, use peanut butter as the nut butter, and add 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1.5 tablespoons maple syrup. Even though this isn't paleo, it's still grain/gluten free and beyond delicious.

4. Lemon Blueberry

When made with the macadamia nut butter, this tastes just like pound cake. Add 1.5 tablespoons honey, the zest from one lemon, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, and 1 cup blueberries.

5. Cranberry Pumpkin Seed Bread

cake, cookie, chocolate
Emily Fluet

This one has to be my all-time favourite. Add 1.5 tablespoons maple syrup, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, 1/2 cup cranberries, and 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds. Toasted and topped with butter makes it heavenly. 

Truly useful and sustainable healthy recipes must be delicious, easy to make, and cheap. This paleo bread fits the bill, and the above variations are only a start to what can be done with this bread. It proves that being healthy in college (and beyond!) doesn't relegate one to grilled chicken and steamed broccoli every night.