Going just 3 days without pooping is considered constipation. There are many causes of a poop-less lifestyle, from stress to simply eating not enough fiber. Luckily, there are foods that can be pooping-enhancers. So, try these foods to get your bowels moving.

10. Oranges

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

Chemically, oranges contain a flavonoid that is shown to be a natural mild laxative. But physically, oranges are full of water (see number 3) and fiber, which is good enough for someone who hasn’t pooped in a day or so.

9. Fermented Veggies

Photo courtesy of Cedric Sam on Flickr

Treat yourself to some fermented vegetables like kimchi. The acidity of the veggies creates gas bubbles in your intestines, stimulating your bowels.

8. Beans

Photo courtesy of Flora Girl on Flickr

You’ve always heard that eating beans make you fart. But, those stinky bean farts may be a hint that you are ready to take a dump. Beans are full of a type of starch that acts like a mild laxative in your colon, as it balances the bacteria that are present in your intestines.

7. Grapes/Raisins

Photo by Kate Zizmor

If I eat grapes first thing in the morning, I will poop. Eating grapes, with the skin on, means more fiber that can help move food in your intestines and helps create bowel movement. Raisins, or pretty much any dried fruit will also work, since dried fruit are concentrated in fiber. Word of caution: don’t eat too much, since they are also concentrated with sugar.

6. Avocado

Photo by Jessica Kelly

Full of healthy omega 3’s and healthy fats and oils, avocados not only fill you up, but also are rich in magnesium which is used in soothing muscles like the ones used in your digestive system.

5. Oatmeal

Photo by Christin Urso

Since oatmeal is made of oats, which are basically all insoluble fiber (meaning that the fiber will not break down in your intestines), the fiber will graze along the linings of your stomach and help move any foods you have consumed. Add raisins (see number 7) into oatmeal for a stronger bowel movement.

4. Coffee

Photo courtesy of Howard middleton-jones on Flickr

Your daily cup of joe may actually do more than just getting you going in the morning. It is believed that coffee stimulates muscle contractions, like in your colon. Stimulated colon? That’s a good sign of a pooping soon.

3. Water

Photo by Christin Urso

Water keeps you hydrated throughout the day but not drinking enough will also make you constipated. Drink water to get everything you consume or drink moving and flowing.

2. Prunes/Prune Juice

Photo courtesy of sunsweet.com

Doctors will usually say to drink some prune juice or snack on a couple prunes since these little fruits are full of fiber. Think of them as a bigger raisin. From my experience, 7-10 plump prunes should get you going, but start small since those with sensitive stomachs may need to become used to it before adding prunes to their regular routine.

1. Flax Seeds

Photo courtesy of authoritynutrition.com

Grounded flax seeds are always my go-to if I haven’t pooped in a couple days. My personal favorite little trick: mix the flax seed with Olive Oil (olives are also very fibrous) and spread it on a piece of toast. This tastes even better than peanut buttered toast IMO.

A balanced lifestyle is important to keep a constant pooping routine. So, get enough sleep, eat nutritious foods, drink plenty of water, and get out there and exercise. Try to take some time out of your busy schedule to relax and try to poop. Your body will thank you and you will be more relieved.