As an avid dater, I would say that I'm pretty much the most experienced and informed woman you will meet when it comes to dating advice. Or not. Hi, I don't think we've met. My name's Ava and let's just say my high school dating life is not even a thing.

In my defense, high schoolers are just too busy with either applying to college, stressing about applying to college, or doing things to be able to apply to a well-regarded college.

But, with the help of family, friends, and common sense, I have compiled a list of foods that should be avoided at all costs during a first date. Now, this can also be a reference if you want to never get a call back. Trust me, it'll work.  

Ribs

pork, barbecue, beef, sauce, meat, pepper, brisket, baby back ribs, spare ribs
Julia McKay

Ribs are a definite no-no. There are too many negatives for this to even be debatable. For example, sticky hands, sticky fingers, sticky shirts, sticky hair, and sticky lips (yikes).

Now, I don't want to bash ribs. I love ribs. But, there is indeed a time and place for everything. And, messy fingers are not in the equation for making a good impression. To use a quote from Shakespeare, "To barbecue or not to barbecue, that is the question." The answer is no. 

Sushi

sushi, tuna, rice, sauce, wasabi, avocado, tempura, salmon
Ava Courtney

There are two things you're probably thinking. First, that picture looks damn good (I know). Second, why is sushi on this list? Hear me out.

When you're on a date with someone, do you use chopsticks (that you truthfully don't know how to use, but lie to yourself thinking that this time will be different), or use your hands (accepting the awkwardness of the entire situation).

Another dilemma you could come across would be deciding whether to eat the whole piece (by shoving the whole thing in your mouth in an effort to be smooth), or eat half (realizing that the seaweed stretches too far and you have to pull it off). My recommendation, ladies and gents, would be just don't have sushi on a first date.

Spicy Food

As a gal who prefers mild everything, reacting towards spicy food isn't an issue I have to deal with. But, for all those spice lovers out there, save this adventure for any other date but the first.

Certain foods with crazy spices can cause embarrassing outcomes. To avoid the situation where your date asks you what you enjoy doing on your free time, and you answer by choking. Just don't order the Sriracha Chicken with Cayenne.

Leafy Greens

salad, vegetable, cheese, beet salad, lettuce, spinach, oil, beet
Becky Hughes

For some odd reason, some people have teeth that are magnets to spinach. Listen, I get it. You're trying to be lady-like, and act older than you are, while watching your weight. Trust me when I say, you can order the kale salad for any other time, but a date. If you do end up ordering one, either check your teeth frequently, or don't be surprised when your date cringes when you laugh to one of his or her corny jokes

At the end of the day, food is just a factor in a date. Ordering these food options listed above shouldn't be a deal breaker. In fact, it could be memorable in its own disastrous way. First dates are fun. So, enjoy yourself and don't sweat it (like literally don't sweat it).